Question re Paging file

RiptideRiptide Northern Canada New
edited February 2007 in Hardware
Quick question regarding my paging file. Everyone has always said to place it on a seperate HD than your OS. However now with two Raptors in Raid 0, is this still valid? I have a SATA 2 HD that I could place it on, and am thinking that's probably the way to go. But thought I would ask around.

Comments

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    I would place the paging file outside a RAID if possible. As it stands now, you have 2 copies of the paging file on RAID, and all the overhead that goes along with it being copied in part every time it changes.

Yeah, your instincts are good on that.
  • MadballMadball Fort Benton, MT
    edited January 2007
    I have a very similar setup, and I place mine on a seperate drive. It seems to run somewhat smoother than when I used to have it on my Raid.
  • RiptideRiptide Northern Canada New
    edited January 2007
    For the size of the paging file, should it be left at default, or made bigger? I have 2 GB of ram. And am usually running games. Is 2 GB's enough?
  • zero4zero4 SoCal
    edited February 2007
    Riptide wrote:
    For the size of the paging file, should it be left at default, or made bigger? I have 2 GB of ram. And am usually running games. Is 2 GB's enough?

PCSTATS has a nice tweaking article...
    (I'm not allowed to post the link it seems)

This is part of it:

23. Create a 'permanent' page file

Make the minimum size of the page file the same as the maximum size. This saves the operating system from needing to resize the page file, and does not lose you any extra space, since the 'maximum' size the page file can reach is the amount of hard disk space that is reserved by the OS.

Right click on 'my computer' and select 'properties.'

Select the 'advanced' tab.

Under 'performance' choose the 'settings' button.

Select the 'advanced' tab again and under 'virtual memory' select 'change.'

Highlight the drive containing your page file and make the 'initial size' of the file the same as the 'maximum size' of the file.

24. Optimize your page file size

Windows XP sizes the page file to about 1.5X the amount of actual physical memory by default. While this is good for systems with smaller amounts of memory (under 512MB) it is unlikely that a typical XP desktop system will ever need 1.5 X 512MB or more of virtual memory. As a simplified guideline. If you have less than 512MB of memory, leave the page file at its default size. If you have 512MB or more, change the ratio to 1:1 page file size to physical memory size.
  • edited February 2007
    I have the same spec with 2gb ram doing some googlong