Pentium4 3Ghz 2 Meg cache/800

WingaWinga MrSouth Africa Icrontian
edited January 2007 in Hardware
My computer store have these chips going for half the normal price.
I want to know if it's a good buy or should I hold out for a Core 2 Duo at similar speeds.

Also what is a good MB to run it on?

Comments

• WingaWinga Mr South Africa Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    I had hoped this would have been an easy one to answer. Maybe I didn't explain myself properly :scratch:

I have been eying out the Conroe core 2 duo E6300 1.8 as an entry level replacement to a socket A I want to upgrade. That's when the guy at the store recommended I rather go with the one mentioned in my title. I can get it at half the price of the dual core and was just wondering if it would be a good buy or should I rather pay twice the price for the dual core.

He also mentioned he was finding it difficult to find a motherboard that runs the P4 with the 2Meg cache. Hence suggestions for a compatible board if the general consensus is to go with the P4.

Any suggestions guys??????
  • edited January 2007
    Winga wrote:
    I had hoped this would have been an easy one to answer. Maybe I didn't explain myself properly :scratch:

I have been eying out the Conroe core 2 duo E6300 1.8 as an entry level replacement to a socket A I want to upgrade. That's when the guy at the store recommended I rather go with the one mentioned in my title. I can get it at half the price of the dual core and was just wondering if it would be a good buy or should I rather pay twice the price for the dual core.

He also mentioned he was finding it difficult to find a motherboard that runs the P4 with the 2Meg cache. Hence suggestions for a compatible board if the general consensus is to go with the P4.

Any suggestions guys??????

If you definitely do not want to pay more for a Core2, I would at least consider PD 805 instead of P4 3GHz. What is the price, is it cheaper than $79 PD805 at Newegg? PD805 can easily overclock to 3.33 on many cheap motherboards. And, it is not difficult to find a motherboard for that CPU at all. I suggest choosing a motherboard which supports Core2 as well, so that you can just drop in the Core2 processor when you want to upgrade next time.
    But, If I were you, I would wait a couple of weeks longer to see where the E4300 prices settle before upgrading the computer?

Motherboard suggestions:
    Biostar TForce965PT
    Gigabyte GA-965P-S3 and DS3
    ASUS P5B series
  • WingaWinga Mr South Africa Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Thanks for that advice Mirage.
    I live in South Africa so our prices are way out of sync to what you guys pay. Generally hardware is much more expensive here and we don't get all the latest stuff when and as you do.

I will pay around R2200 for the Conroe I mentioned and R1000 for the P4. Apparently the same P4 normally retails for around twice that. (For now use an exchange rate of around R7.20 to $1)

I've been buying a lot of my stuff from the US lately as I'm wising up! I really just wanted to know if the 2 Meg P4 is worth the buy. Otherwise I am happy to see what the new pricing will be in the next couple of weeks. I'm in no hurry to upgrade.
  • edited January 2007
    Winga wrote:
    Thanks for that advice Mirage.
    I live in South Africa so our prices are way out of sync to what you guys pay. Generally hardware is much more expensive here and we don't get all the latest stuff when and as you do.

I will pay around R2200 for the Conroe I mentioned and R1000 for the P4. Apparently the same P4 normally retails for around twice that. (For now use an exchange rate of around R7.20 to $1)

I've been buying a lot of my stuff from the US lately as I'm wising up! I really just wanted to know if the 2 Meg P4 is worth the buy. Otherwise I am happy to see what the new pricing will be in the next couple of weeks. I'm in no hurry to upgrade.

Hi Winga,
    I did not notice that you were in South Africa. Nice place, we are freezing in MA. Today, it is -10C outside.
    What is your current Socket A processor? If it is a Barton, your investment will not be an upgrade at all. My Barton running at 2.4 GHz is actually equivalent to (sometimes even better than) a P4 at 3.2Ghz. Unless you have an irresistible itching (I frequently feel this :)) for an upgrade, I would say wait for Core2. If you do buy that P4, at least choose a Core2 compatible motherboard.
    Good luck!