Upgrading video card.

edited February 2007 in Hardware
I recently got Ghost Recon for my birthday, only (after I had opened it) to find out that it was too much for my current video card (AGP GeForce 5200). So I went hunting for a new video card. I started with a GeForce 6200OC with 256 MB. This atleast allowed me to see things in game, but was still real laggy. So I went to return that one and saw an ATI X1600 pro on sale for only $15 more. I picked that one up, pluged it in, booted up, and then all I get are a series of vertical color bars on screen. I have a ticket in with ATI, but from what I read, it may have to do with my PSU. I have a dell 4600 so I am stuck with the 250W one it has (ATI recommends at least 350). I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a card that will work with the PSU I have. Or do I just give up on playing the game and return the card (the game cannot be returned as it is open).

Thanks

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    you're not stuck with the 250w psu.

You will need much more oomph to play that game. I guess what it boils down to is are you willing to pay how ever many hundreds of dollars you will need to spend in order to play it? Because if you are willing to, it can be done.
  • edited January 2007
    Let me rephrase my question. Is there a card out there that I can use with my system as it is non with out adding anymore? I am just looking for the card at this time. I will more than likley be looking at a new comp in a year and don't want to put much more into what will become a second computer.
  • edited January 2007
    In your post you say the gforce card works okay which BTW uses the nvidia chipset and the ati card does not work which is powered by a different chipset,the radeon chipset i believe(i'm not sure as i've only used nvidia powered graphics since the beginning), which may be causing a compatability issue so first you might want to check which one your motherboard uses and find out if they are interchangable -second find out if this is causing the vertical color bars- third find out which type to buy nvidia or radeon then make your choices on which card to buy.Or it may just be a psu issue which should be easily replaceable to a higher wattage psu.I hope this helps.
  • edited February 2007
    I have just gone through the same scenerio with my new ATI X1600Pro card.
    I ended up purchasing a 380 watt RaidMax model RX-380K for $20 +shpg.
    Power problem solved and video card is running great.