Unusual Problem With P5B Deluxe

edited February 2007 in Hardware
Hi,

I've been lurking a while, and really enjoy the forum!

I have an unusual problem with my new P5B-D:

No matter what my BIOS settings, I can not boot with the memory voltage set above 2.0v. It simply refuses to post on anything other than "Auto" or 2.0v or lower.

Strangely, I can boot and get a pretty good O/C with everything set to "Auto". My RAM is rated by Corsair at up to 2.1v, and it should even run a .2 or .3v higher. What could be the problem? Has anyone ran across this?

Here are my specs:

P5B-D, 0614 BIOS
E6400 (running anywhere from stock up to 3.4ghz)
2X Corsair CM2X1024-6400, divider at 1:1, timings 5-6-6-18-6-42-3-11-5-15
EVGA 7600GT

Thanks in advance for any tips!

Bob A.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Newer BIOS versions resolved many memory issues. I believe they're on 0804 or 0810 now.. You might try one of those and report your findings.
  • edited January 2007
    Thanks for the reply!

I had a feeling that someone would suggest flashing the BIOS. Corsair and Asus have been hashing out some problems with my board and RAM for a while now, although my specific problem seems to be unique so far.

I've been trying to avoid flashing, because my FDD is flaky. I don't trust floppy media either! Have you (or anyone!) tried flashing from a USB flash drive?

Many thanks,,,

Bob A.
    edited January 2007
    I do all my flashing via USB on that motherboard. It boots straight to DOS, and has 512mb of space to put BIOS ROMs and the flashing tools on. Really convenient.
  • edited January 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    I do all my flashing via USB on that motherboard. It boots straight to DOS, and has 512mb of space to put BIOS ROMs and the flashing tools on. Really convenient.
    Hmmm... there's a 1004 BIOS up, and it's dated 01-22-07. Have you tried that one yet?

Thanks,,,

Bob A.
    edited January 2007
    I haven't tried that one. I'll flash it tonight and let you know. :)
  • edited January 2007
    HA! Thanks, I'm glad 1 of us is brave! :)
  • Radio91PRadio91P Layton, UT New
    edited January 2007
    Hey guys,

I just barely flashed the from 804 to 1004. I have not had any problems yet. Everything seems to be running smooth.
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    I flashed to the 1004 as soon as I could. I used the Windows-based flashing utility, and had no problems. It still seems to be running well.
  • edited January 2007
    Thanks Radio and Cyclonite! Is it true you can't flash to an older version? I keep hearing that, but I thought the P5B-D CMOS had the ability to store multiple BIOS files and boot back and forth among them.

My problem is pretty amazing. I can only run 400FSB stable on manual and RAM voltage at 2.0v. Running the RAM voltage in auto, I can run 425 stable.

The POST failure is still there if I try to boost RAM voltage higher than 2.0v!

Thanks again,,,

Bob A.
  • lsevaldlsevald Norway Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    bobad wrote:
    2X Corsair CM2X1024-6400, divider at 1:1, timings 5-6-6-18-6-42-3-11-5-15

Try running your RAM at SPD (the setting in bios that hides all the timings). 5-6-6-18 is what the P5B-D defaults to if you run the timings at manual and don't correct them. My Corsair 8500 sticks fails/clock bad at those timings too.
    edited January 2007
    I flashed to the 1004 BIOS the other night (Sorry about not getting back to the thread sooner -- totally forgot), everything seems to be alright. I didn't bother to try and flash back, so I have no reports on that.
  • edited January 2007
    lsevald wrote:
    Try running your RAM at SPD (the setting in bios that hides all the timings). 5-6-6-18 is what the P5B-D defaults to if you run the timings at manual and don't correct them. My Corsair 8500 sticks fails/clock bad at those timings too.

Now running 5-5-5-15, very stable.

All my benchmarks are identical. It appears that tight RAM timings are a little over rated.
  • edited February 2007
    try 5-6-6-18-6-42-3-11-5-15 >>>

5-5-5-15-6-42-10-10-10-11