SATA question

yossarian084yossarian084 Norwich, VT, USA Member
edited February 2007 in Hardware
I just purchased a 500Mb SATA drive but it came with no cables. I found the power connector coming from the PS, but what do I need to get it from the MB to the drive? There are two more connections I need to make...

Thanks.

Comments

• PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA! New
    edited January 2007
    I just purchased a 500Mb SATA drive but it came with no cables. I found the power connector coming from the PS, but what do I need to get it from the MB to the drive? There are two more connections I need to make...Thanks.
    Like IDE cables, SATA cables are industry standard (not unique to the hard drive). Take a look and determine the length cable you will need to reach from your new SATA HDD and the connection you intend to use for it on the motherboard. You can purchase SATA cables at your local computer store or online if you like.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    It is also very likely that your motherboard came with a couple of cables.
  • yossarian084yossarian084 Norwich, VT, USA Member
    edited January 2007
    Good call Goat! I did actually find some interface cables in my pile o' supplies. There are 3 connection spots in the back tho, power, SATA interface (which Ijust found) and an 8 pin for 1.5 G mode. can I get by with just the power and interface?
    edited January 2007
    The power supply and interface cable connecters are enough? Anyone?
    edited January 2007
    The power supply and interface cable connecters are enough? Anyone?
    That should be fine, yossarian084. You need one of the SATA data cables that came w/ your motherboard and the power connection. :smiles:

EDIT://
    If you haven't done so already, you will need to install the SATA drivers that came w/ your motherboard. If you don't have the CD, you can download the drivers from the manufacturer's web site.
    edited January 2007
    Excellent! Another problem solved by the Absolutely Fabulous denizens of Short Media. Thanks so much.
    edited January 2007
    Excellent! Another problem solved by the Absolutely Fabulous denizens of Short Media. Thanks so much.
    Why you are Absolutely welcome, yossarian084! We're glad to help! :bigggrin:
  • edited February 2007
    can an SATA drive be detected by a live cd?
    edited February 2007
    kiddie9 wrote:
    can an SATA drive be detected by a live cd?
    Is it onboard SATA or are you using a SATA controller?