help with pc build desperately needed

edited January 2007 in Hardware
Hello out there,I'm a new member here so please bear with me.I'm having a slight problem(nothing new).I have a new build that consists of an asus m2n32-sli-deluxe mobo, amd 3800+ windsor socket am2 65watt proc, 1gig(1 stick) patriot extreme pc- 6400 memory, 2 xfx gs 7800gtx 512 mb xxx edition(its the rare dual slot 590 mhz factory overclocked edition)set up for sli mode, a pioneer double layer dvd recorder, a single western digital 80 gig IDE HDD,a floppy drive(yes i still believe its a techs best friend) all powered by a etasis 850(850 watt) power supply set up in a cm stacker stc-t01 full tower case, viewed on a gateway fpd1975w 19" wide view flat screen.Now heres the dilemma, my new setup has the bios ver.0603 which boots to the pretty logo then boots to post which shows my drives as listed, memory shows as should be 1024 mb(which is manually set in bios at 4-4-4-12-2t cas latency and 2.5 volts which patriot recommends) set in dimm slot B1 most other settings are default except for sli memory set at disabled.Then it goes to boot to the hdd but windows does'nt load.The hdd I installed was taken from my other setup which performs as should be,is loaded with xp home w/sp2 now when it try to load windows in the new setup i get the screen that says we're sorry for any inconvienience etc,and gives me the option to boot in safe mode,last known good,etc and no matter which i choose i hit enter and it reposts then returns to the same black with white lettering screen again, no matter how many times i do this.I also can't reinstall xp to do a repair install, when i do i get the dreaded B.S.O.D. showing missing pci.sys file or something about pci.sys. I am not new to building systems been doing it for 4 yrs now but now i'm stumped and need help in getting this running so i ask what am i doing wrong, doing right and what do i need to do. Thanx Sorry about the lengthy post ,i wanted to give as much info as possible.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Yes, you did the right thing by attempting a repair install (If not an outright reformat). As I believe you know, WinXP installations are essentially mated to the motherboard they were installed on; change a drive to a board the existing chipset driver installation doesn't handle, and you're up BSOD creek sans a paddle.

It seems you know a good amount about PCs, so I won't bore you with lengthy explanation, and will only ask a question: Is your hard drive SATA? If so, see if you can adjust the BIOS to use IDE emulation instead of RAID or AHCI on the drive.
  • edited January 2007
    Hiya Thrax! No its a ultra dma drive not sata.I may just have to get a new drive and try that,however Im short of cash right now and was really hoping to get by with this drive as it is fairly new and is mostly set up with games with many save games and i've already have over 260+ hrs playtime in Oblivion(with many mods) on there along with countless others i'm playing,Thats the main reason for a new build.WHAT WOULD YOU SUGGEST I DO ?Plus I forgot to mention i will not be using the onboard sound since after the vid cards I have one pci slot left to use my own sound card. Oh and BTW thanx for the quick response.As ive said I really want to use this drive if possible. Thanx.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Hey agnivolok :)

Have you read our trials and tribulations with the Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe yet? There's a lot of good stuff in there.
  • edited January 2007
    You could try to use the recovery console to disable the drivers which are failing to launch.

I managed to save a windows install after changing a motherboard this way and after booting, clearing out with driver cleaner and then restarting everything was fine.
  • PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA! New
    edited January 2007
    rapture-IC wrote:
    You could try to use the recovery console to disable the drivers which are failing to launch.

I managed to save a windows install after changing a motherboard this way and after booting, clearing out with driver cleaner and then restarting everything was fine.
    That's great advice, rapture-IC. This has implications, too where one could possibly save their current build by imaging it then restore the image to their new computer. For those interested, HERE is a link to Driver Cleaner's web site. :smiles: