Maxtor Sata problem

edited January 2007 in Hardware
apologies - previously put this in the system core section

This problem is driving me mad - I read many posts about similar problems but not one quite the same as this.

I have added a 160GB Maxtor sata to my gigabyte GA-7VAXP Ultra mobo as a second data drive - XP boots from an ATA HD.

I have enabled sata in the bios and i can see the Maxtor listed when I boot
I can see both the Maxtor and the Silicon sata controller in device manager, both are enabled and working properly.
I ran Sandra and that can see the disk
There is even a Silicon SATA Controller icon in Contol Panel.

Why therefore can I not see it in Disk Manager so I can format/partition the ****ing thing!

Many Thanks in advance - I'm sure it is somethin obvious I've missed

Comments

• PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA! New
    edited January 2007
    Bump. I can't think of anything off hand. Any ya'll have any ideas?? SATA drivers issue perhaps??
  • nonstop301nonstop301 51° 27' 24.87" N // 0° 11' 38.91" W Member
    edited January 2007
    Hi Quiraang,

Use a DOS partition manager on a floppy or bootable CD to format the hard disk.

My only guess is that the Windows Disk Manager isn't showing anything because the hard disk isn't formatted.
    edited January 2007
    nonstop301 wrote:
    Hi Quiraang, Use a DOS partition manager on a floppy or bootable CD to format the hard disk...My only guess is that the Windows Disk Manager isn't showing anything because the hard disk isn't formatted...
    What happens when you double-click on the Silicon SATA Controller applet in Control Panel? What options, if any, does it give you? Can you format the drive from there?

I'm w/ nonstop301, Quiraang. If Sandra can see the drive then there's something amiss w/ your OS Storage Manager. It should show the drive even though it isn't formatted. Maybe it doesn't get along w/ your SATA controller. You might look for updated drivers for your SATA controller.

You can likely skirt around the issue by using a 3rd party utility as nonstop301 suggested. If Sandra was able to see the drive then likely a third party disk manager utility will be able to as well.

I use Acronis Disk Director for managing my partitions, etc. I used to use PowerQuest Partition Magic (which got bought out by Symantec - it's now called Norton PartitionMagic). I've found that Acronis Disk Director is actually a better HDD manager than Partition Magic in the end. (and Norton PartitionMagic is a lot more expensive)
    edited January 2007
    I can't see any SATA ports in the pic of the board yet it lists a SILICON SATA CONTROLLER in the motherboard's specifications list (see 2nd pic) ... Is this pic of the motherboard accurate, Quiraang? If so, where do you plug in the SATA data cable?? :scratch:

I'd check their list (at the same link I gave you above) for updates for the VIA chipset and your BIOS. I suspect the problem has been there all along but since you haven't used SATA on that motherboard until now, you weren't aware of it. I'm sure there' have been updates since you 1st purchased your motherboard. An update may well correct your problem.
    edited January 2007
    Yes his board does have 2 SATA ports and he's probably connected the hard disk properly but it's better to double check that too :)

The Silicon Image controller is a tool necessary for the formation of RAID arrays on SATA drives. I have the same controller for my motherboard but don't use it at the moment since I haven't set up RAID. When it comes to SATA it's the SATA chipset drivers that matter and they are found in the Chipset directory on the CD that comes with the motherboard.
    edited January 2007
    nonstop301 wrote:
    Yes his board does have 2 SATA ports and he's probably connected the hard disk properly but it's better to double check that too :)

The Silicon Image controller is a tool necessary for the formation of RAID arrays on SATA drives. I have the same controller for my motherboard but don't use it at the moment since I haven't set up RAID. When it comes to SATA it's the SATA chipset drivers that matter and they are found in the Chipset directory on the CD that comes with the motherboard.
    Oh I don't doubt the HDD is connected correctly. I just wanted to know for my own edification where the hec the SATA ports are??? I can't see any in the pic. :confused:

EDIT://
    Hang on! Lower left corner of the board. Two ports - in line - perpendicular to the bottom of the board, yes?
    edited January 2007
    I think it might be beneficial to install the updated chipset drivers off of Gigabyte's web site. This might correct the problem.
    edited January 2007
    Two ports - in line - perpendicular to the bottom of the board, yes?
    Those are the ones yes :)

Getting updated chipset drivers or the BIOS flash to the most recent edition are also very good recommendations.

I still think he'd be better off formatting the SATA hard disk with a program other than Windows Disk manager :) I have never formatted a hard disk using that and the Acronis software that Pterocarpous suggested would be better and easier at the end of the day.
    edited January 2007
    nonstop301 wrote:
    Those are the ones yes :)

Getting updated chipset drivers or the BIOS flash to the most recent edition are also very good recommendations.

I still think he'd be better off formatting the SATA hard disk with a program other than Windows Disk manager :) I have never formatted a hard disk using that and the Acronis software that Pterocarpous suggested would be better and easier at the end of the day.
    Exxxxakatakly, nonstop! I don't like using the OS disk manager either because (1) I'm spoiled having used quality third party disk management utilities like Acronis Disk Director. (2) The OS disk manager is incredibly s-l-o-o-o-o-w!

Even if he is able to get it formatted using a third party disk management utility, I'm a little concerned about it performing correctly. The fact that it isn't showing up in the OS disk manager doesn't bode well, I don't think. I'll take a look through the updates and see what issues they addressed. There might be update(s) related to the SATA controller.... :smiles: