Memory Decision

Radio91PRadio91P Layton, UT New
edited January 2007 in Hardware
Hey guys,

Trying to decide on what memory to buy. I have been looking at the crucial ballistix, both DDR2 800 and 1000. I am trying to figure out if my board would potentially have any problems with it.

What would be better? Faster timings with DDR2 800 or DDR2 1000.

Comments

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    We need to know the brand and model of your motherboard to answer that.

Can you look in your motherboard manual and see what memory has been TESTED with your motherboard before the manual was printed, or look on your driver CD and see if the motherboard mfr was nice enough to give you a .pdf copy of the computer manual? If you can't read .pdf files you need acrobat reader from Adobe. Look on your motherboard maker's website for a manual file also, as it may be a more recent revision of what is printed or on the CD that came with the manual.

Sorry, but there are thousands of motherboards out there and each has different abilities to handle RAM(different as to RAM speeds and as to detailled stettings at given speed).

The slower RAM is likely to be safer as to compatibility, and the 1000 RAM less likely in general to work at full capacity except with some of the very VERY recent motherboards.
  • Radio91PRadio91P Layton, UT New
    edited January 2007
    Sorry man,

I forgot that I took off my signature that had all of my specs. I am running the P5B-Deluxe wi/fi. I personally have found that the testing that most motherboard companies do on the compatibility of ram incomplete, but I will definitly check.

Thanks,
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    Radio91P wrote:
    Sorry man,

I forgot that I took off my signature that had all of my specs. I am running the P5B-Deluxe wi/fi. I personally have found that the testing that most motherboard companies do on the compatibility of ram incomplete, but I will definitly check.

Thanks,

They are incomplete, but if they are 800 and not 1000 you will have a hint as to the most compatible speed and what the BIOS at the time of test could handle as to speed and settings (by looking at the options in the BIOS for the fine-tuned settings). You could flash the BIOS to the latest one and also look for the latest Acrobat Reader manual for the motherboard as the mfr may have tested more RAM since the printed manual or the one on CD was finalized and based the additional recommended RAM on a more recent BIOS with faster RAM support.