Unable to Install new OS

edited January 2007 in Hardware
Long story short I needed to reformat my computer and start with a fresh install. Problem is when I did I ran into 2 different problems. They may or may not be related.

First Issue is after I run the setup disk for win xp and make my way to the Install new OS press enter, d to delete partition, c to create new. The only thing that shows up in the drive locations is the following

Unknown Drive
(There is no disk in the drive.)

Unknown Drive

Unknown Drive

Unknown Drive

At the bottomw of the screen it doesn't show C to create new partion for some reason. Also when I press D it brings me to another screen that says.

Setup is unable to perform requested operation on the selected partition. This partition cntains temporary setup files that are required to complete the installation.

to continue press enter.

Once I press enter I am then brought to a blue screen that gives the following error.

the problem seems to be caused by the following file: setupdd.sys

Page_fault_in_nonpaged_area

STOP 0x00000050 (0xe80bd790, 0x00000000, 0xf84c9c78, 0x00000002)

Now if i had tried to press up on the partition screen to change which one was selected I would have gotten this error instead.

STOP 0x0000008e

Before my system became inoperable it was running 2 striped harddrives. I am not too savvy on raids but It doesnt look like there is a raid card and the 2 drives plug directly to the mother board.

I looked up my stop error and it says it is related to RAM, but i swapped out in different configurations and it still keeps giving me the error.

I am clueless at this point.

Any help would be hot. I need this back up asap.

Comments

• PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA! New
    edited January 2007
    Hello xidra. Welcome to Short Media!
    1. [A:] I recommend you test your memory.
    2. Please, go HERE and download MEMTEST86.
    3. You'll need to create a bootable CD using an ISO image.
    4. If you don't have a utility that will create bootable CDs w/ ISO image files, HERE is a link to a free one called BURNCDCC.
    5. If you need help w/ this just let us know.
    6. Let the test run for a long while to give your memory a good work out (overnight would be a good idea)
    7. [B:] You'll need to get into the BIOS and turn off RAID (or make sure that it has been disabled)
    8. If you need help w/ this, tell us what motherboard you have (including the version no.) and we'll find the information you need to do this.
    9. You can usually find the motherboard model no. silk screened on the motherboard itself. Even if you don't know the manufacturer, the model no. is usually enough to lead us to the manufacturer.
    10. The model version no. will be somewhere nearby in much smaller type - possibly etched on the board.
    11. [C:] It would be a good idea, especially since the HDD was in a RAID array b4, to give the HDD a good scrubbing.
    12. Please, go HERE and download a program called KILL DISK
    13. Warning!! Be absolutely positive there is nothing on the HDD that you want to keep!! This includes all partitions on the HDD (e.g. primary (drive "C") and extended or logical partitions that might show up as drive "D", "E", etc.).
    14. Warning!! Connect only the HDD you want to erase.
    15. Warning!! Leave any other HDDs disconnected until you have finished erasing this HDD - this includes HDDs in external enclosures.
    16. Create a bootable diskette or CD (depending upon the devices available on the computer where the HDD is installed).
    17. Boot to the diskette or CD and erase your HDD.
    18. Now, try running your OS setup again.