Connecting USB Help needed

edited January 2007 in Hardware
The case that I am using has two identical sets of USB wires consisting of 4 pins each which are labeled as follows: VCC1, Data1-, Data1+, GND1. The motherboard (asus A8r-mx) has two separate sets of USB connectors consisting of 9 pins each. The question I have is do I connect both sets of wires (a total of 8 pins) to one of the USB connectors on the motherboard or do I place 4 pins on 1 connector and the other set of 4 pins on the second connector?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    It will work both ways if you match them to the motherboard connector specs according to the motherboard manual. Each set of two USB bus connectors runs to a different USB hub circuit. You can connect up a total of 4 USB subharnesses to motherboard cables on the motherboard.

Connecting them wrong can cause a small fire in your computer as the hub circuit can be melted with bad connections not according to motherboard specs. In other words, do this carefully-- especially as to the VCC placement which provides some power out to USB devices. You can also burn out the USB circuits in things or more severely damages like USB mice and USB keyboards and USB printers with a VCC misconnect. This happens if you have VCC connected to what should be a data connection of either polarity.

You might want to talk to an experienced tech-- he is more likely to understand the USB connection procedure and be able to tell if the USB cable subharness is intended for your motherboard. The safest to use cables for this are ones from your motherboard mfr. I know of quite a few failures from trying to use generic cables for this, as mfrs can locate the pins on the motherboard any way they like. USB standard does not have a required USB pin position for USB connections on motherboards, so each motherboard mfr locates the pins as they are conveniently placed.

Note further, you are not connecting up USB 2.0 cables, which have 5 lines in their harnesses. What will result from these is an earlier USB 1.1 connection, and USB 2.0 devices are oftenly if not always not going to work right with USB 1.1 connections.
  • edited January 2007
    Thanks Straightman for the reply.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    You are welcome.