bluroadster: Replace PSU Fan

edited January 2007 in Hardware
Sorta like this thread, but different. HP Pavilion Slimline, pretty certain the power supply cooling fan crapped out, because it appeared the supply then overheated and shut itself down. Upon removal and powering it up separately, the power supply looks like it still works. So here's my question(s): sourced a 70mm evercool fan, but like most I found, it's got a 3 terminal connector-- red, blk, and blue. My old fan just had red(pwr) and blk(gnd). If I cut/splice the old connector onto the new fan (or maybe just un-pin it, assuming the pins are compatible), will it run with just the red and blk connectors? how can I make it run otherwise? Meanwhile, the power supply chassis installs snug right up against the top/side of the cpu case. Even though there's a cut-in grate in the power supply chassis for the air exhaust, it blows right into the side of the case; in other words, not much room for air circulation. Is it worth it to drill cooling holes into the case adjacent to the power supply fan and install a filter for protection? The stock configuration only lasted 11 months. Thanks...