Firewire/Audio question...

RWBRWB Icrontian
edited February 2007 in Hardware
A friend has my old Abit Fatal1ty AN8-SLI it has the x1 1394 connector on the MB itself, he has a front panel(uGuru Panel) which has fire wire and a secondary panel which uses fire wire. Problem he faces is that he wants both active, but only one connector on the board. I figure there should be a y-splitter like with molex connectors which he may use. Anyone know?

As for the audio, the Abit MB and the case; like the firewire; have their own audio ports. He wants to have both available... they use the same type of connector. Is there a y-splitter for this as well?

Thanks guys.

Comments

• trolltroll Windsor, Nova Scotia Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    Hey RWB!

He could probably split the header between two jacks but he could only use one at a time, since it is only one port. There are no commercial y splitters available so he'd have to manufacture one... Same for the audio...
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    I thought fire wire was chain linkable.
    Wiki wrote:
    FireWire can connect together up to 63 peripherals in an acyclic topology (as opposed to Parallel SCSI's Electrical bus topology). It allows peer-to-peer device communication, such as communication between a scanner and a printer, to take place without using system memory or the CPU. FireWire also supports multiple hosts per bus. It is designed to support Plug-and-play and hot swapping. Its six-wire cable is more flexible than most Parallel SCSI cables and can supply up to 45 watts of power per port at up to 30 volts, allowing moderate-consumption devices to operate without a separate power supply. As noted earlier, the Sony-branded i.Link usually omits the power wiring of the cables and uses a 4-pin connector. Power is provided by a separate power adaptor for each device.
  • PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA! New
    edited February 2007
    RWB wrote:
    I thought fire wire was chain linkable.
    You can "daisy chain" firewire devices. But that requires an input and an output (pass through) on the device you're linking through.

How 'bout installing a firewire card and use its internal port(s)?

Same for a sound card...
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    This is a guy who has the goodies on his case, and the uGuru panel which came with the MB, and wants both to be fully operational, 'just-because'. His case has the 1394/USB/Audio ports, and the uGuru has 1394/USB/Audio/LCD/CMOS reset... because it exists, he wants it to work.

Frankly, I am just helping him out, I could care less since I already got my money. :P