computer freezing when plugging in ipod

TrevTrev California
edited February 2007 in Hardware
Ok I have a 30G video ipod and i used to plug it into my old computer and everything was fine.
So then i get a new computer. I download Itunes and plug it in.
every time I plug it into my new computer my new computer Freezes. does NOTHING. then i have to hold down the button on my computer to restart it...
My old computer is gone and i dont know what to do...

Comments

• KentigernKentigern Milton Keynes UK
    edited February 2007
    Which OS are you using?
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    It sounds power related, like either your PSU is very weak on the 5v side of things, or you have too many USB devices plugged in, or your motherboard has crappy power for the USB ports.

One thing you could try, to eliminate the problem being power, is if you plug in a POWERED USB hub to the machine. This is a little usb box with its own 5v power supply, and it won't rely on the computer to give power to the USB. If you plug the iPod into a powered usb hub and the computer doesn't freeze, then you know what's wrong.
  • TrevTrev California
    edited February 2007
    Kentigern wrote:
    Which OS are you using?
    sorry im not very smart with computers what is an OS?
  • TrevTrev California
    edited February 2007
    It sounds power related, like either your PSU is very weak on the 5v side of things, or you have too many USB devices plugged in, or your motherboard has crappy power for the USB ports.

One thing you could try, to eliminate the problem being power, is if you plug in a POWERED USB hub to the machine. This is a little usb box with its own 5v power supply, and it won't rely on the computer to give power to the USB. If you plug the iPod into a powered usb hub and the computer doesn't freeze, then you know what's wrong.
    The only other USB thing i have plugged in is my wireless keyboard and mouse and i tried unplugging both of them and just using the normal keyboard and mouse and still nothing worked.
    What a PSU??
    and do you know where i can get one of the powered USB boxes?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    Your iPod is dead. I see this all the time. It needs to be repaired.
  • PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA! New
    edited February 2007
    Trev wrote:
    The only other USB thing i have plugged in is my wireless keyboard and mouse and i tried unplugging both of them and just using the normal keyboard and mouse and still nothing worked.
    What a PSU??
    and do you know where i can get one of the powered USB boxes?
    Hi Trev,
    I'll answer some of your questions re: terminology for you.
    • A PSU is an acronym that stands for "power supply". Every computer has one.
    • The USB "box" is technically referred to as a USB "hub".
    • A USB hub plugs into an USB port on your computer.
    • In turn you can plug other USB devices into the hub.
    • This is handy for accessibility of the ports (as the hub can sit on top of your desk if you like)
    • It's also a way to gain more USB ports (connections) when you've run out of ports on your computer.
    • You can purchase USB hubs w/ or w/out their own power adapter.
    • If a hub you purchase doesn't come w/ its own power adapter then it must rely on power supplied by the one port it is connected to on the computer.
    • This might not be sufficient power to supply all the USB devices that are connected to the USB hub.
    • A powered USB hub can also be helpful when an USB port on the computer is under powered. In this case, the hub will compensate for the lack of power and supply the power that the USB devices need.
    • It is always best to use a "powered" USB hub (one that comes with a power adapter) so that the devices connected to the hub don't have to rely on the power supplied by the computer.
    edited February 2007
    When you're stumped re: what an acronmy, word, or term means, there are some very helpful resources on the Internet. Following are a few that I use all the time:
    edited February 2007
    Trev wrote:
    sorry im not very smart with computers what is an OS?
    Don't worry, Trev. NO ONE starts out being "smart" about computers. We all start at the same place - the beginning. :smiles:

OS = operating system. (e.g. Windows XP Home, Windows XP Pro, etc.)
  • TrevTrev California
    edited February 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    Your iPod is dead. I see this all the time. It needs to be repaired.
    My ipod works totally fine.
    and my old computer worked fine to.
    its just since i got this new computer my new computer freezes when i plug it in
  • TrevTrev California
    edited February 2007
    Kentigern wrote:
    Which OS are you using?
    Im using Windows XP Home
  • TrevTrev California
    edited February 2007
    Hi Trev,
    I'll answer some of your questions re: terminology for you.
    • A PSU is an acronym that stands for "power supply". Every computer has one.
    • The USB "box" is technically referred to as a USB "hub".
    • A USB hub plugs into an USB port on your computer.
    • In turn you can plug other USB devices into the hub.
    • This is handy for accessibility of the ports (as the hub can sit on top of your desk if you like)
    • It's also a way to gain more USB ports (connections) when you've run out of ports on your computer.
    • You can purchase USB hubs w/ or w/out their own power adapter.
    • If a hub you purchase doesn't come w/ its own power adapter then it must rely on power supplied by the one port it is connected to on the computer.
    • This might not be sufficient power to supply all the USB devices that are connected to the USB hub.
    • A powered USB hub can also be helpful when an USB port on the computer is under powered. In this case, the hub will compensate for the lack of power and supply the power that the USB devices need.
    • It is always best to use a "powered" USB hub (one that comes with a power adapter) so that the devices connected to the hub don't have to rely on the power supplied by the computer.
    Thank you so much for your help!
    edited February 2007
    Thrax, it's probably not his iPod. You shouldn't give such hasty advice :p

Trev, do you have another computer you can test it on?
    edited February 2007
    Trev wrote:
    Thank you so much for your help!
    You're certainly welcome, Trev. :smiles:

HERE's an USB hub on Newegg. It includes a power adapter.
    edited February 2007
    Thrax, it's probably not his iPod. You shouldn't give such hasty advice :p

If you saw 15-20 iPods a day that did the same thing, all of them with bad/dead hard drives, you might change your tune. ;)
  • TrevTrev California
    edited February 2007
    Ok i took it over to my my buddies house i just got home.
    it worked fine on his computer but he doesnt have Itunes so i thought maybe it was itunes on my computer that was doing it so i uninstalled Itunes and plugged my Ipod in and again it froze.
    I think im just going to try the USB hub with a power adaptor...
    I have never bought things off the net yet. Do you think they would have one at radio shack or something or at Frys?
    edited February 2007
    Trev wrote:
    ...Do you think they would have one at radio shack or something or at Frys?...
    Sure... Fry's will have a better selection. I'd recommend you go there rather than Radio Shack.
  • TrevTrev California
    edited February 2007
    Sure... Fry's will have a better selection. I'd recommend you go there rather than Radio Shack.
    Ok i called frys earlier today they have one perfect for 22 bucks. im going tomorrow to pick it up
    edited February 2007
    Trev wrote:
    Ok i called frys earlier today they have one perfect for 22 bucks. im going tomorrow to pick it up
    Great! Let's hope this does the trick. :smiles:
  • TrevTrev California
    edited February 2007
    sorry it took me so long to reply it was my birthday. went on a little vacation trip. but i bought the USB hub and plugged it in. my computer still freezes
    I have no idea whats wrong with it. I think i should just get another new computer lol
    edited February 2007
    :wave: What Sound card do you have on the PC - Is it a Creative?
  • TrevTrev California
    edited February 2007
    Yes!
    it is and i have had many problems with creative.
    i even have threads because my computer will not end a process called devldr.exe
    I found out thats all because of creative.
    do you think this could also be because of creative?
    Also i was not using creative on my old computer. maybe thats why it worked on that computer and not this one...
    edited February 2007
    Is your creative a plug in card or on the motherboard?

If it is a plug in - I would take it out & remove the drivers for it and just use the onboard (on motherboard) sound - see if that helps.
  • TrevTrev California
    edited February 2007
    Kentigern wrote:
    Is your creative a plug in card or on the motherboard?

If it is a plug in - I would take it out & remove the drivers for it and just use the onboard (on motherboard) sound - see if that helps.
    Nope that didnt seem to do anything either...
    edited February 2007
    Guys. It's the iPod. Come on.
    edited February 2007
    Why does it work on other computers then?
  • TrevTrev California
    edited February 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    Guys. It's the iPod. Come on.

Thrax i really think its my computer...
    ever since i got this computer it has had many problems that i cannot figure out..
    but i know its not my ipod because I use it on my sisters computer now since we pretty much have the same taste in music..
    even though she lives like 2 hours away from me haha

I still think it has something to do with the creative sound card though... somehow
    because i didnt have it on my old computer and it worked fine. and ever since i have had creative i have had problems with shutting down and dumb stuff like this