HP Pavilion dv9000t

edited February 2007 in Hardware
I'm getting close to picking up a dv9000t, but have some questions first:

1. Does the high capacity battery option stick out the back, or is it the same size as the default battery option?

2. In terms of overall speed while using business apps, how big of a difference will dual 7200 rpm drives make versus getting a single 5400 rpm drive?

3. I will use the notebook for games as well as work. Is the 512MB option on the graphics card option worth the extra $150, or is it a waste of money?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• KentigernKentigern Milton Keynes UK
    edited February 2007
    I will use the notebook for games as well as work. Is the 512MB option on the graphics card option worth the extra $150, or is it a waste of money?

Depends on the type of games you will use i.e. Oblivion needs reasonably high specs.
  • PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA! New
    edited February 2007
    Atlas2 wrote:
    I'm getting close to picking up a dv9000t, but have some questions first:
    1. Does the high capacity battery option stick out the back, or is it the same size as the default battery option?
    2. In terms of overall speed while using business apps, how big of a difference will dual 7200 rpm drives make versus getting a single 5400 rpm drive?
    3. I will use the notebook for games as well as work. Is the 512MB option on the graphics card option worth the extra $150, or is it a waste of money?
    Thanks in advance!
    Hi Atlas2. Exactly which dv9000t are you considering?
    • No doubt, get a 7200 RPM SATA HDD (hard disk drive) and a minimum of 1GB RAM.
    • If you're getting Vista, 512MGB isn't enough.
    • Find out if that 512MB is integrated RAM and how many slots are available for installing RAM (it will be (1) or (2)).
    • Get a 1GB RAM module (as opposed to two 512MB modules) if possible.
    • This will give you more flexibility for upgrading later on.
    • A rule of thumb when purchasing a new pre-built system - esp. laptop - is to get the added HDD & RAM capacity up front.
    • Don't skimp there.
    • Nor on the display (monitor). (You're stuck w/ that. Be sure you choose a display size you're going to be happy with)
    • As for HDD capacity, get more than you think you'll need.
    • You'll grow into it.
    • Kentigern is right. If you intend to use this machine for gaming, spend the extra $ and get the video upgrade.
    • Regarding the battery, is this the stock battery or is it an upgrade?
    • I took a look and didn't see it.
    • Couldn't find any pics of the system either other than the one front view.
    • HERE's a link to HPs Customer Service page which includes contact info.
    • Just give HP a shout and I'm sure they'll be glad to answer your questions re: the battery.
    • Ask about the RAM, too. :smiles:
  • edited February 2007
    Thanks guys for the replies. :)

I called HP. The high capacity battery does in fact stick out from the computer. It sticks downwards, tilting the computer forwards when it rests on the desk.

They weren't able to help with the other questions since they are kind of subjective.

About the memory. I will get 2 GB of RAM for sure. Specifically what I'm wondering about is whether the Go 7600 512MB is worth it, or should I just stick with the Go 7600 256MB. Some say the extra video memory helps, while others say that it makes no difference on a mid-range card like that, so I'm having trouble deciding.

About the hard disk. I will either get a single 5400 rpm 160GB hard disk, or I can get two 100GB 7200 rpm hard disks that will total 200GBs. Either one will do me fine for capacity, so the only benefit for me is whether the dual 7200 rpm drives will sufficiently speed up the computer to be worth the extra $250 and shorter battery life over the single 5400 rpm.

As far as which computer I'm looking at, I'm doing the customizable dv9000t on HP's site, not any of the pre-built ones.

Thanks again!
  • PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA! New
    edited February 2007
    Atlas2 wrote:
    ...About the hard disk. I will either get a single 5400 rpm 160GB hard disk, or I can get two 100GB 7200 rpm hard disks that will total 200GBs. Either one will do me fine for capacity, so the only benefit for me is whether the dual 7200 rpm drives will sufficiently speed up the computer to be worth the extra $250 and shorter battery life over the single 5400 rpm.

As far as which computer I'm looking at, I'm doing the customizable dv9000t on HP's site, not any of the pre-built ones.
    Thanks again!
    This laptop supports two internal HDDs????? Wow!

Get the 7200. 5400 is a step backwards - it's slower. Think ahead when you're deciding on your computer's hardware. W/ changes in software and other technology, the demands on your computer's resources will only increase over time. Buy the performance up front. W/ a laptop, you're going to be stuck w/ your decision. So get the higher performing hardware and a battery to support it. IOW, don't let the battery drive your hardware decision. Make it the other way around.