Quick Linksys Router Question

TrumandrummerTrumandrummer Taylor Michigan Icrontian
edited February 2007 in Science & Tech
i have broadband connection at my house, and im trying to set up and wireless connection at a friends house, but it keeps asking for a password when running the linsys disc (it asks for a password right after checking router setting)

at my house we dont have dial up, and they do is this the dial up password its asking for or something els?

Comments

• TrumandrummerTrumandrummer Taylor Michigan Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    or does anyone know the linksys site for settings or whatever like 66.66.66

you type a bunch of numbers like an ip adress but i forgot how?
  • trolltroll Windsor, Nova Scotia Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    Default password to configure the router would be admin with the user admin as well...
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    http://192.168.1.1
    Username/Password = admin/admin

I think older Linksys routers like mine were admin/(blank) Leave password blank of course.
    edited February 2007
    well i went to that link and typed in admin for username and password, and it wont let me in?
  • PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA! New
    edited February 2007
    well i went to that link and typed in admin for username and password, and it wont let me in?
    What is your Linksys router's model no., Truman'?
    edited February 2007
    Possibly someone has set or changed the password...
    Try a blank user name and admin as the password or admin as the user and a blank password.

If none of these work, you might have to reset the router with the reset button held in for 10-15 seconds... BUT this will put everything back to factory settings.
    edited February 2007
    its the WRT546 (wireless G)
    edited February 2007
    ...but it keeps asking for a password when running the linsys disc (it asks for a password right after checking router setting)...
    at my house we dont have dial up, and they do is this the dial up password its asking for or something els?...
    ahhhhhh! I think I know what's goin' on. Truman', are they going from a dialup connection to a broadband connection? (IOW, they didn't have broadband b4?)

If so, what I think is happening is when you open the browser, you are being prompted to login to their old ISP.

What EXACTLY is in the window you are being prompted to login at.

I believe you need to run the Internet Connection Wizard - IOW, it needs to be switched from a dialup connection to an always on connection.

Yep. I'm pretty sure that's what's goin' on. Betcha a nickle....
  • mtroxmtrox Minnesota
    edited February 2007
    ^^^^she could be right^^^^^ seen that one too. But....if you're trying to get into a Linksys, the default authentication is:

user =
    <
    leave it blank
    password = admin
    edited February 2007
    • I'm assuming there is a NIC (network interface card) installed on your friend's computer, yes?
    • If so, is it a wirless NIC or is it a hardwired NIC?
    Configure the computer's Internet Connection settings (change from the old Dialup configuration to the new broadband always on configuration)
    1. Open Internet Explorer
    2. (close the dialup login when it opens)
    3. Click on Tools
    4. Click on Internet Options
    5. Click on the CONNECTIONS tab
    6. If there's anything in the DIAL-UP and VIRTUAL PRIVATE NETWORK SETTINGS WINDOW, select NEVER DIAL A CONNECTION below it.
    7. Click the LAN SETTINGS button
    8. Place a check mark in the AUTO DETECT SETTINGS box
    9. Remove all check marks that exist in the other boxes.
    10. Click OK
    11. Click the SETUP button
    12. Click NEXT
    13. Choose CONNECT TO THE INTERNET at the top and click the NEXT button
    14. Choose SET UP MY CONNECTION MANUALLY and click the NEXT button
    15. Choose CONNECT USING A BROADBAND CONNECTION THAT IS ALWAYS ON and click the NEXT button
    16. Click FINISH
    edited February 2007
    Good Call!

Been SO long since I've seen dialup, I totally forgot about the connection box...
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    • I'm assuming there is a NIC (network interface card) installed on your friend's computer, yes?
    • If so, is it a wirless NIC or is it a hardwired NIC?
    Configure the computer's Internet Connection settings (change from the old Dialup configuration to the new broadband always on configuration)
    1. Open Internet Explorer
    2. (close the dialup login when it opens)
    3. Click on Tools
    4. Click on Internet Options
    5. Click on the CONNECTIONS tab
    6. If there's anything in the DIAL-UP and VIRTUAL PRIVATE NETWORK SETTINGS WINDOW, select NEVER DIAL A CONNECTION below it.
    7. Click the SETUP button
    8. Click NEXT
    9. Choose CONNECT TO THE INTERNET at the top and click the NEXT button
    10. Choose SET UP MY CONNECTION MANUALLY and click the NEXT button
    11. Choose CONNECT USING A BROADBAND CONNECTION THAT IS ALWAYS ON and click the NEXT button
    12. Click FINISH

To add to this, in the "LAN Settings" section(should be a button in the connections tab) make sure auto detect settings and everything else is UNCHECKED. Just an annoyance I tell you.
    edited February 2007
    troll wrote:
    Good Call!...Been SO long since I've seen dialup, I totally forgot about the connection box...
    Me too. It didn't hit me 'till later... :smiles:
    edited February 2007
    RWB wrote:
    To add to this, in the "LAN Settings" section (should be a button in the connections tab) make sure auto detect settings and everything else is UNCHECKED. Just an annoyance I tell you.
    Good point, RWB. :smiles: I'll go back and modify the instructions. Thankyou!

NOTE: TrumanDrummer, check back to post # 11 and verify the steps after step 5. They've been modified as of this post.
    edited February 2007
    ok im really confused right now

hes got dial up connection (SBC)
    ive never hooked up wireless connection with dial up................

the main computer is hooked up wired........ modem to the router/computer and then his secondary new computer (the one im having troubles with) is connecting wirelesly

i know the router and his wireless card are compatible they are both wireless g and both made by linksys........

his computer picks up the signal and connects to it, but it wont bring up and web pages and any programs that have to connect online like aim dont work either.....

it tried to follow your internet browser instuructions or whatever, but i couldnt....... he has windows vista on the new computer (the wireless one) and it was a little different

also i added an SSID name and security to the network........ it was linksys and now its "berghouse" and it has a password now......... but when his computer detected the network it found it with no security and still names "linksys" i restarted the computer, reefreshed the network list and it never changed.............so i deleted the security and put the SSID name back to default ,thinking that that may be why it wouldnt connect to the internet...... but same thing, it said it was connected but nothing would work. i have no clue what is going on here
  • mtroxmtrox Minnesota
    edited February 2007
    ok im really confused right now

Me too! When you say...
    the main computer is hooked up wired........ modem to the router/computer
    "router/computer" sounds like you're using the first computer as a router as in Internet Connection Sharing? Or is there is a router that is a separate box?
    his computer picks up the signal and connects to it, but it wont bring up and web pages and any programs that have to connect online like aim dont work either.....

So where are you now? Can you still get the Vista machine to connect to the wireless signal?

If you have the Internet signal going into a router and one computer has the Internet by plugging into that router, then we know a lot. If and when the Vista box is connected to that same router, then it pretty much (but not always) comes down to IP information.

In Vista, click once on the little network icon down in the sys tray, then click on Network and Sharing Center. You should get a window that looks like the attached. Then click on the "View Status" link for the wireless connection, then click the "Details" button and you should see the third window in the attachment. That window shows me with and IP address that starts with a 192....that's what yours should be. If yours starts with a 169 that's your problem. But look down further. You should also have numbers for DNS too. If you don't have those, you might have the Internet but just don't have DNS.
    edited February 2007
    this information is very informing and im going to check it out as soon as i can get over to my sisters computer...........

but i dont know the main computer is plugged in dial up. from the wall , to the modem, from the modem to the router, and the router is wired to the computer also

when i first started re-setting up this network, nothing wirelessly worked..... this new computer and a nintendo wii would not connect

but now after i did this the wii is connected and yes the vista computer DOES connect to the wireless connection but nothing "internet" will work, so i think im on the right track

if the first three numbers of the ip is wronge what should i do?