Unstable Display After Using Windows XP Home Repair

JHyerczykJHyerczyk Palos Park, Illinois (26 miles SW of Chicago)
edited February 2007 in Hardware
The other night I used Microsoft Windows XP Home Repair to find and fix corrupted files. It found and fixed errors in the software ok but messed up my computer display screen. The screen resolution and color quality are the terrible. I am only allowed 4 colors and the icons are huge with a fuzzy screen. After I try to resent to only 32 colors and 800 X 600 pixels the screen gets better, but when I click on an icon on my desktop it goes bad again. In addition, my desktop goes from 4 colors to 32 colors then blank then finally settles on a readable size. Does repairing windows XP delete driver updates? How do I get it to give me 256 colors? How do I keep my settings.

Comments

• RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    have you tried reinstalling your drivers? Check your device manager and see if everything is OK in there. It sounds like the drivers went bad or something.
  • zero-counterzero-counter Linux Lubber San Antonio Member
    edited February 2007
    Zaraki Kenpachi...

Anyways, couple of options...system restore, driver rollback for the VG, safe mode removal of the drivers.
  • PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA! New
    edited February 2007
    JHyerczyk wrote:
    ...I used Microsoft Windows XP Home Repair...
    Hello JHyerczyk. Welcome to Short Media!

What is the "Windows XP Home Repair" feature that you are referring to?
    Did you boot to the Windows XP Recovery Console and run the HDD diagnostic "chkdsk" w/ the "r" switch (option)? (chkdsk /r)
    JHyerczyk wrote:
    ...It found and fixed errors in the software ok...
    By "software" do you mean "files"? I'm not picking on you, JHyerczyk. I just want to make sure I understand you correctly. :smiles:
    JHyerczyk wrote:
    ...How do I keep my settings...
    RWB & ZC are right, your video drivers will need to be restored.

I have a couple of important questions 1st, though. The reason is the corrupted video drivers may be symptomatic of a deeper problem.
    (1) What led you to decide to run the HDD diagnostic in the 1st place?
    (2) IOW, exactly what other problems were you experiencing w/ your computer?
    (3) Are you experiencing any other issue w/ your computer right now?
    • As for restoring your video drivers, you can try to "roll back" your video drivers to the drivers before them.
    • I don't think this will work, however, unless you have updated your video drivers recently.
    • If the only video drivers on your system were damaged, then you will need to re-install them.
    • Please, let us know if you need help w/ any of this. We will be glad to step you through it.