Help My pc just keeps rebooting randomly

edited February 2007 in Hardware
Hi everyone, i have a weird problem and i hope u can help

My system is as follows

Intel Core 2 DUO E6600 "LGA775 Conroe" 2.40GHz (1066FSB) - Retail

DFI Lanparty UT ICFX3200T2R/G RD600 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard

OCZ 1GB (2 x 512MB) PC2-8000 Dual Channel XTC Platinum Series EL-DDR2 (OCZ

Sapphire ATI Radeon X1950 XT-X SILENT Heatpipe 512MB GDDR4 AVIVO TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail

Zalman CNPS9700-LED Aero Flower (Socket AM2/939/754/775) CPU Cooler

Hiper HPU-4B580 Type R 580W Modular ATX2.2 PSU - Blue

80 western didgital ata HDD

Ok the problem is that my system will just reboot at completly random times,

i reset the bios and then i press the power button and nothing happens....it just sits their doing nothing while the Mobbo has got power cas the lights are light up on it...i then press reset and power button together and it will boot...it boots for about 5 secs then resets and then boots again..i press F1 at the bios prompt because its been reset and it will load windows. now, i can play rainbow6 vegas for say 4 hours and then exit to desktop and sury the net for a while then bang..it reboots ( sometimes it reboots even before windows fully loads or after 10 mins of windows being loaded) ok so its nw rebooted and it then starts to go mad...booting then reseting at random points before it will freeze and displaying the number C1 on the led bios light.

it also gets stuck with the bios led light showing 75 also gets stuck on 54 i think.....to be honest its got stuck on more of less them all

im thinking that its to do with the HDD or something because if i unplug it it boots ok.. the HDD is using IDE cable and has a slave optical drive on it.

Any advise lads ? i would appreciate it so so much

Comments

• edited February 2007
    Followings are the things I would try in the order of priority
    - First reset the BIOS, if there is anything wrong with BIOS settings it will be corrected.
    - Reseat the power plugs on the harddisk and optical disk. If BIOS hangs during the detection of IDE drives this is the most likely problem.
    - Reseat the data cables on the drives and motherboard.
    - Reseat the memory modules, there may no be good contact
    - Reseat the graphics card and its power plug with the same reason above.
    - Using CPU-Z check memory settings, compare with your memory specs. If necessary, set them in the BIOS according to your memory specs.
    - Check the CPU cooler installation and CPU temperature.
    - Increase memory voltage by 0.1-0.15 volts.
    - Increase CPU voltage by 0.1 volts.
    - Last, try a different PSU.

Hope these help, good luck!
  • edited February 2007
    hi thanks for ure reply. i have reset the bios alot of times ( because i have to to get it to boot up after it dies)

The pc reboots even in the bios with all optical and hard drives un plugged and disconnected

I ve also remounted the cpu heatsink and cpu... tried the ddr in all slots and all combinations.

Ive reconnected all the PSU molex's

taken the xt1950 out of pci express 1 and put it into 3

all the memory settings are on auto and the timings coincide with the 5 5 5 15 which they are stated.

Increasing the memory voltage dident seem to do anything..

Im going to change the PSU tonight and see how i get on
  • PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA! New
    edited February 2007
    AkiraApex wrote: »
    ...Im going to change the PSU tonight and see how i get on...
    Hello AkiraApex. Welcome to Short-Media!
    • Did you just build this system?
    • Or was the system working OK b4 this problem appeared?
    • Did anything you can think of precipitate this problem?
      • e.g. a power event, new hardware or software uninstall or install, etc.

Delve more deeply into the fact that the symptoms are only present when the HDD is connected:
    • Do the symptoms persist if the optical drive is not slaved to the HDD?
    • Do the symptoms persist if you change the HDDs jumper settings (e.g. from CS to MASTER or SINGLE)?
    • Have you tried connecting the HDD to the secondary IDE channel (if there's one available)?
    • Have you run any diagnostics on the HDD?
      • If you can't run diagnostics on the HDD in this system, connect it to a different system and run them there.
    • Have you changed the IDE cable. (80-conductor, right?)
    • What happens if you connect that HDD to another computer?
      • Does it cause any problems there?
    Explore the idea of the motherboard shorted to the case:
    • If you just built this system and have experienced this problem from the onset, take the motherboard out of the case and set it up on an ESD mat (preferably) or a sheet of cardboard.
    • You might have an issue w/ it shorting to the case.
    • Doing this will rule that out in short order.
    Swap out the PSU:
    • If the system was working fine b4, then I think you're right on target to swap out the PSU next.
    • In the face of everything you've done, if you've also ruled out the HDD, then you're down to PSU and RAM (and CPU & motherboard, of course - but they're on the last rungs on the ladder).
    Investigate BIOS updates and RAM compatibility:
    • If the problem persists after swapping out the PSU, check w/ your motherboard manufacturer for BIOS updates and specific info. re: RAM that has been tested w/ and is recommended for that board (and for OTC on that board).
    • If you have more than one RAM module, take it down to one.
    • Try the one in different slots.
    • If the problem persists, try this w/ the other remaining RAM module(s) as well.
  • edited February 2007
    hi.

Yes i have just built this PC

i do get that error the odd time about the IDE controller 80 thing...it says none installed..i have only 1 ide on my board and 4 SATA..

But the machine sometimes acts up even when the HDD is completely disconnected... ive just turned it on after work and its been going ok for 50 minutes...it doesent normally go past 2 hrs before it dies..

the short is a good idea ill take it all out tommorrow and set it on the box and rebuild it outside the case

everything is brand new and ive been having this problem from day 1

the bios is dated 12/12/2006

ive been reading up on my MOBO and it seems that it is very tempremental

and it has even reset itself in the bios screen the same way it does everywhere else
  • PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA! New
    edited February 2007
    ...Yes i have just built this PC...i do get that error the odd time about the IDE controller 80 thing...it says none installed..i have only 1 ide on my board and 4 SATA...But the machine sometimes acts up even when the HDD is completely disconnected...
    Ahhh. I thought it only happened when the HDD was connected. That changes things a bit...
    ... ive just turned it on after work and its been going OK for 50 minutes...it doesent normally go past 2 hrs before it dies..
    In that case, it could be a temperature (heat) related issue. Something could be over-heating or, when it reaches a certain temperature (even if it's in normal range) it starts to fail.

Have you been checking the voltage levels and temps in the BIOS?
    ...the short is a good idea ill take it all out tomorrow and set it on the box and rebuild it outside the case...
    At the very least, doing this will rule out the case. (Not to mention making everything more accessible while you're troubleshooting the problem.)
    ...everything is brand new and ive been having this problem from day 1...
    OK. That's an important observation.
    ...the bios is dated 12/12/2006...ive been reading up on my MOBO and it seems that it is very tempremental...
    Have you read anything about what in particular it's temperamental about (RAM, for instance)?
    ...and it has even reset itself in the bios screen the same way it does everywhere else...
    Mmmm. That's not good. You can end up corrupting your BIOS that way...
    • What kind of power protection are you using?
    • What exactly is the computer PSU plugged into?
    • Is it plugged into a circuit or strip shared by any heavy current load devices, etc? (e.g. old laser printing or copying equipment; compressor; old refrigerator; etc.)
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    I hate to say it, but I don't trust the PSU.
    The only other option is to run memtest and see if the memory is OK.
    Do you have fans on speed control? Is the CPU colling fan on speed control? You might want to set fans to constant on until you sort this out.
  • edited February 2007
    Ahhh. I thought it only happened when the HDD was connected. That changes things a bit...

In that case, it could be a temperature (heat) related issue. Something could be over-heating or, when it reaches a certain temperature (even if it's in normal range) it starts to fail.

Have you been checking the voltage levels and temps in the BIOS?

At the very least, doing this will rule out the case. (Not to mention making everything more accessible while you're troubleshooting the problem.)

OK. That's an important observation.

Have you read anything about what in particular it's temperamental about (RAM, for instance)?

Mmmm. That's not good. You can end up corrupting your BIOS that way...
    • What kind of power protection are you using?
    • What exactly is the computer PSU plugged into?
    • Is it plugged into a circuit or strip shared by any heavy current load devices, etc? (e.g. old laser printing or copying equipment; compressor; old refrigerator; etc.)

thanks for your reply,

the temps all seem ok, the cpu idles at 40 and i think its the NB thats at 60Oc (ill check this later)

The cpu fan , i have a variable regulater switch type thing which came with the fan i have it at full speed 2200rpm.

The pc has no other devices plugged into it and is the only thing plugged into the socket bar the lcd screen. and no surge protector.

Ok last night i took out the lead that was supplied with the PSU and was bridging into the GFX card and i replaced it with the one that was supplied with the GFX card and conneccted it to one of them four pin plugs that connect to HDD'S i also took out the direct power cable from the psu to the HDD and bridged power from the optical drive and changed the fans power cabling abit.

i also increased some voltages to the CPU and Dram things in bios and i increased the system shutdown temp from 85 - 90Oc and i turned off the auto cpu multiplyer and set it to 9x and fiddled with a few other options (ill edit later when i get home and find out what they where)

i put the case on its side and booted into windows, all went well apart fro the reset after the initial boot 3 seconds in (which i think shudent be happening) (maybe its just part of the boot sequence of the main board)

once in windows i opened up AMD system manager and the FSB of the cpu was at 269mhz ( which i think i changed a few days ago from 266mhz) i tried to lower it twice but the pc just crashed on both occasions).

i then got back into windows and opened up Orthos and ran a CPU + Ram torture test.

the test ran for nearly 4 hours without a single problem. i then had to go to bed so i shut the system down.

Maybe ive fixed the problem? tonight ill try some gaming to see if the resets are still their..

Thanks everyone . let me know what you all think
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    My C2D in an MSI mobo does the stutter on a cold boot. Who knows.

My hunch is that you have a bad cable or connector. Let the baby run folding now and see how it goes.
  • edited February 2007
    yeah i hope the stutter isent the cause of the resets