looking for ram on my lap top

TrumandrummerTrumandrummer Taylor Michigan Icrontian
edited February 2007 in Hardware
i have a hp pavilion dv9008nr (9000 series)

i want to get more ram for it but i dont know how much it can take

it currently has 1gb of ram (1024mb)..........

how can i tell how much ram the computer is capable of, and where can i buy lap top ram because i dont want cheap value ram and i dont really like ordering stuff online.?

thanks a lot in advance:)

Comments

• PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA! New
    edited February 2007
    Hi Truman,

First, you'll need to determine the product and serial number of your laptop. HERE are instructions on how to do that.

Once you have that information, you can go HERE for instructions on how to determine the memory specs for your particular HP laptop.

As for where to purchase memory in your locale (as opposed to online), that will depend upon where you are located. Are you in Taylor, Michigan US?

Hopefully others in your area will have recommendations for you. :smiles:
  • TrumandrummerTrumandrummer Taylor Michigan Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    thanks a lot.......:)

man that sucks, i was hoping on getting 2 gb of ram on this, but it has 1 gb installed (512 and 512) so the only way for me to get 2gb is to buy 2 1gb sticks............ i dont have the money lol, i wish they would have just put a gig stick in it.

is 512mb of ram gonna make that much of a difference?

btw , I live in taylor michigan (detroit area)
  • PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA! New
    edited February 2007
    ...thanks a lot.......:)
    You're welcome, Truman. :smiles:
    ...man that sucks, i was hoping on getting 2 gb of ram on this, but it has 1 gb installed (512 and 512) so the only way for me to get 2gb is to buy 2 1gb sticks............ i dont have the money lol, i wish they would have just put a gig stick in it...
    Yeah, that's why I always advise people to buy their laptops (and desktops for that matter) w/ 1GB modules - not 512MB. It ends up being a waste when it comes to upgrading if you don't.
    ...is 512mb of ram gonna make that much of a difference?...
    If you intend to upgrade to Vista, you really need 2GB, but 512MB will get you closer.
    ...btw , I live in taylor michigan (detroit area)
    Right! I realized that when I took a look at your location info. Duh! What a knuckle head... :tongue:
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    Hey Trumandrummer,

I personally have a few HP Laptops ranging now form a DV600t to the DV9000t series. I have upgraded the dv6000t form 512MB ram to 2GB and it was a huge increase performance wise. I also upgraded my dv8000t and dv9000t to 2GB of ram, and TBH I wouldn't want it any other way. Especially since I just loaded Vista on the dv8000 & 9000 :)