HD Configuration

airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
edited February 2007 in Hardware
Ok, I have just recently came into possesion of an American Mega Trends series 490 scsi controller card with 64mb of ram and a seagate 18gb scsi hdd.

Now consider this, I have the the 18gb scsi, a 60gb ide, and a 250gb SATA drive. What would be the best configuration for the drives?

I am thinking, that it would be best to do the following:
  • Boot: SCSI
  • Programs: IDE
  • Storage: SATA

Can you think of any better way to utilize the drives? I may also be on here later as I'm a virgin to the word of SCSI drives and controllers, so honestly, looking at a drive with 3 sets of jumpers is a bit scary.:bigggrin: Not to mention the controller had 4 or so more sets of jumpers. I'm trying to track down the manual to the controller. I found the manual for the drive.

Comments

• airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    Come on guys, I'm itching to plug it in!!!

IT'S MY FIRST SCSI!!
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    I'd reverse it. Put the OS on the scsi drive, the programs on the sata, and storage on the IDE.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    What are you using the box for? You want the files that you are now waiting on to be on the SCSI drive. If you have programs with a lot of read/writes then they go on the SCSI. If you need fast scratch space, then it goes on the SCSI.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    Well, pretty much its my general purpose rig that I do a little bit of everything on it.

InDesign, Photoshop, coding, barely any video editing or video games. I would use the ide for storage, except I have about 100+gigs of programs/music to store. So I figured that the 60 gig ide would be big enough to install all of my programs onto.