IBM Inteleserver MOBO

edited February 2007 in Hardware
Hello Everyone!

I have been coming here for quite some time and have always found the answers I needed. However this time, I finally had to post a question.

I can't seem to find the power switch (Etc) headers on the MOBO. I'm not even really sure what the model number is. Any idea where I can get started looking for this info?

Thanks!

Comments

• DonutDonut Maine New
    edited February 2007
    List as much info as you can about your machine. If the mobo is out of the case, look for a manufacturer name, serial numbers, etc

Also look at the mobo REAL close. Most of the pins have a marking nearby designating what they are (if your near the headers it might be a +/-). Sometimes they can be color-coded and with the mobo manual you can tell what they are.

If it's in an existing machine, look for a bunch of wires possibly heading toward the lower right of the mobo. (looking at the machine with the side panel off. I'm also guessing this is an ATX or EATX style of board.)
  • edited February 2007
    OK. The board is EATX, I think it is an IBM, though I didn't know they did hardware (likely a rebrand) and there is no screened serial number or model, just a sticker with four different series that could be anything. There is a diagram/chart on the very bottom right corner that references a standard header and I have found the spot that it references but instead of pins being there, there are just solder spots, as if the pins never existed. I have seen this beofre on boards where the model did not support a specific feature, but I would think case headers would be mandatory. Where else could I look.

BTW, Those numbers are imor04602156 AA 750711-703

Then, on another sticker, 11s09k9696zj1f1v125101 f09k9697 011

Maybe e18609

This is a Dual P3 board, slot 1, AGP with power input on the mobo, 5 PCI slots, I think that is just about all for notable features. ANy help would be greatly appreciated.
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited February 2007
    I've been looking around, and I'm not finding anything. One post I found on a forum suggests that IBM did make their own boards. (fwiw)

Can you possibly post a picture? Maybe we can see where the connections are.
  • edited February 2007
    I actually tried to take some pics but I have an old 1MP camera so it looks rather blurry. The header spot is where it should be, there are just no pins there. I believe that it is a 440GX chipset, maybe BX, not sure. There is a large 6-pin socket that looks like it would be for the switch but if so, then it would be propritary to an IBM case, so I might be SOL. I spent last night looking for something on that kind of case woring but found nothing. Any idea about different case wiring interfaces common to IBM that might work? It looks sort of like a Molex but different. I will try to get some good pics posted tonight. Thanks for your help Donut.
  • edited February 2007
    BTW, this machine will be folding for team 93, along with any other that I can get up and running.
  • edited February 2007
    I guess that it is an Intellistation, not intelliserver...
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited February 2007
    Intellistation helps, so does the chipset. Google-ing the chipset, I found boards made by Tyan and Supermicro that used it in a dual proc. configuration. PII and PIII.

If you can find a good picture of one of these boards it could point you in the right direction.

I'd do a little more searching, but the cold air and high winds are causing my internet connection to keep dropping out.:banghead:

I'll try to find some more in the morning (hopefully the wind dies down). Maybe somebody else can chime in with some more info. In my limited experience, boards from different manufacturers aren't all that different in design. At least it could provide further clues (I hope:) )
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    There is a large 6-pin socket that looks like it would be for the switch but if so, then it would be propritary to an IBM case, so I might be SOL.

You're not SOL. You just need to do some extensive testing with a spare case and then mod your own connector (cutting and electric tape). I don't think it'll be that hard.
  • edited February 2007
    Any guides to modding a connector? I think you have given me an idea, one question though. If the power switch header were to come off while the system was running, would that kill the power?
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited February 2007
    In most cases, no- unless you short something on the way by.

I've had a few folding rigs running caseless, all I do is identify the 2 power pins (1 pos, 1neg) and jump them with a screwdriver. A quick touch will do. Essentially that's all your power button is doing.
  • edited February 2007
    Here are a few pics. I tried a manual jump but had no luck on the standard solder points. I am attaching some pics. One is of what looks like a power input that I have not seen before (this board already has a 20-pin and an AGP Aux plugged in) and the other is of the solder points where the pins should be. There are other various headers for fans and midi and stuff, but I don't even see where I could apply a switch. Sorry about the poor photo quality, I just can't figure this one out..:confused:
  • edited February 2007
    Well, I just found a PSU that has the plug that fits onto the second picture. However, I still can't seem to jump it off.
  • edited February 2007
    Looks like it is a e186194 model number with an intel 840 chipset. I found a german forum that talked about it but nothing as to how to power it up. The picture provided was the same as mine, no front panel header pins. This is driving me nuts!!!!!
  • edited February 2007
    http://cgi.ebay.com/INTEL-E186194-3-Dual-Processor-Motherboard_W0QQitemZ140055145346QQihZ004QQcategoryZ99241QQcmdZViewItem

This listing mentions that the power switch is included. Any idea where I might get one of those?
  • edited February 2007
    Here is IBMs manual: ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/pc/pccbbs/intellistation/d4bf5tim.pdf

This specifically was interesting to me:

A logic signal on the power connector controls the power supply. (The front panel switch is not directly
    connected to the power supply.)
    The power supply connects to the system board with a 2 x 10 connector and a 1 x 6 connector.

I have both of these hooked up but still nto able to power up. Sorry for the frequent posts, I am just hoping that somethign I stumble across might help shed some light on this for someone who can help.

Does "secondary redundant PSU" mean anythig to anyone?
  • edited February 2007
    http://www.shopping.com/xPO-IBM-POWER-SWITCH-LED-CABLE-ASSEMBLY-02K1414~r-1~CLT-INTR~RFR-www.google.com

And here is the power switch... I guess I should just buy it and put this whole mess to bed, huh?
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited February 2007
    Here is IBMs manual: ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/pc/pccbbs/intellistation/d4bf5tim.pdf

This specifically was interesting to me:

A logic signal on the power connector controls the power supply. (The front panel switch is not directly
    connected to the power supply.)
    The power supply connects to the system board with a 2 x 10 connector and a 1 x 6 connector.

I have both of these hooked up but still nto able to power up. Sorry for the frequent posts, I am just hoping that somethign I stumble across might help shed some light on this for someone who can help.

Does "secondary redundant PSU" mean anythig to anyone?

I "believe" the logic signal control is that way with most mobos. Push the start button and the psu powers up.

Secondary redundant psu- providing hook-ups for a second psu. Should the first fail, the second would automatically take over. AFAIK, for mission critical servers where uptime is a must. I've got an old Compaq with 3 hot-swap redundant psu's.

Your board is really confusing me, the board is popping up as an Intel E186194 mobo, but it shows configurations with 2 different chipsets. Maybe one for Rambus memory and the other for standard memory?

upon scanning the manual (is this the correct manual?) page 22, number 9
    power switch, led connections. looks like it's between the ram slots and the floppy connector in the "L"

Now I'm getting brain-dead, what was the original question?:)
  • edited February 2007
    That is an SCSI pin set. I think the six pin connector hooks up to the special power switch I posted above. I guess I kind of answered my own question. This board takes a special power connector from IBM. Not much else that can be done but to buy it and try it out. Mystery solved. Thank you for all of your help!
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited February 2007
    I was looking toward the right of the SCSI pin set. I can't seem to find a good picture of the switch either. I do believe your right about the switch. Why else would there be a special switch for sale if you didn't need it.

Servers can be a finicky bunch. I was experiencing the same cryptic findings trying to look up the VRM's (Voltage regulators) for my Compaq when I upgraded the procs.
    ibm.JPG 101.1K
  • edited February 2007
    Thanks for all of you help!