GIGA-BYTE motherboard SATAII issues. UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

edited February 2007 in Hardware
So, My last computer went out on me, all I had was IDE and AGP. So I had to buy all new parts pretty much.

Specifications (All new except IDE harddrives)
GIGA-BYTE GA-M57SLI-S4 AMD Socket AM2
AMD Athlon 64 AM2/X2 4200+
1 GB RAM DDR2-800 that came with motherboard
NVidia 6800 xt 256 MB Ram
SATAII, 320GB, 7200 RPM, 16 MB cache ,3G/s WD from newegg
2 old IDE drives from my previous computer, 45GB and 200GB 7200 RPM

I didn't have the 45 gb plugged in for my first install. Both my cd and dvd burners were plugged into the computer through IDE, I had my new 320 GB harddrive plugged into my SATAII 1 port, and my 200 GB was plugged into my SATAII 2 port (I was using an sata->IDE drive converter). I never have had SATA before so I didn't know about the raid drivers. When my computer got to the select partition menu, it had recognized my 200 gig and some other volume said it was 130gb, but maybe it was just sorta reading my 320 GB without the drivers... Anyway, so I looked in my manual amd found out how to install SATA drivers. I made the drivers disk on my roommates computer for MP55C SATA/RAID drivers for XP 32. Since I am not setting up a raid array, I just installed the NVidia storage controller. It loads them, then it gets to the select partition screen adn it recognizes both my 200gb harddrive and 320 gb harddrive. (Previously in the BIOS, I have selected my 320 GB as the first boot drive) I select to create a partition on the unpartitioned 320GB harddrive and to install windoes. So it goes through the motions, formats fine, windows starts to install, it ask me for time zone, name, orginziation all that junk, gets to all the way to the finilzing instillation, restats, loads windoes and BAM BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH IN YOUR FACE!
"UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_DEVICE" is the error message. Then,
0x8HEXDIGITS(4 sets of 8 hex digits). Is the error message. With some further instructions about memory settings that my bios doesn't offer.

Well, I tried downloading new drivers off of GIGA-BYTE's webpage. Same result with those. Sometimes windows has a hard time with the drivers, occasionally I get an error message like some error # like (4096 or 505) in line 2028 of D:\can't remember\OEMsomething.sys I think. But if I hit back, and try again, it will install them correctly I guess, at least I get no error message. This is without doing anything. Well, I put in my 45 gig on the IDE with my DVD burner and have installed windows for hte time being. My 200GB has all my back up on it.

I'm not real sure what my issue is.

Randy

Comments

• edited February 2007
    Well, I was actually able to plug in my other 2 harddrives, My SATA harddrive works, I can see all the files of windows on it, I can move things to it, and from it. It works fine. My other drive is found, it knows i'ts a 200gb harddrive, but it is unreadable so it says.