EVENT ID 1000 Faulting application explorer.exe

adarryladarryl No Man Stands So Tall As When He Stoops To Help a Child. Icrontian
edited February 2007 in Hardware
I could use a hand sorting out this "application hang" in Event Viewer on one of my system builds. It reads: Event ID 1000--Faulting application explorer.exe version 6.0.2900.2180 faulting module ntdll.dll version 5.1.2600.2180 fault address 0x00018fea. Problem is I don't know what is "hanging" and haven't found anything useful by reading Microsoft's help guides. It happens usually at start up/shut down and is a momentary hang in the sequence. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thx!

Here are the system's specs:

-Asus P4P800-E DLX mobo
-P4 2.4C mildly overclocked to 2.883
-1024 MB Corsair XMS PC3200 RAM (2x512 dimms)
-Apollo GeForce 6800 agp video card
-80 gig WD SE 7200 HD
-WinXP Home fully patched and updated
-IE 7 patched and updated
-Firefox fully updated
-Lite-On DVD-ROM & CDRW drives
-Mitsumi FD

Anyway, that's the guts of it. Thanks again for any assist.
P.S. I have tried system restore, memtest+, power supply check.........etc. No clue yet.

Comments

• KentigernKentigern Milton Keynes UK
    edited February 2007
    Try this, in normal mode goto Start>Run>msconfig>Startup
    and click on Disable All
    now reboot and without connecting to Internet, just open IE, if you dont get any error, then re-enable each application one by one and trace out the problem one.

if this doesn't solve the problem, then try this, create a new user and check if same problem is happening there, if NOT then transfer your present user to the new one.

This is a Microsoft link to - How to copy data from a corrupted user profile to a new profile

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;811151
  • adarryladarryl No Man Stands So Tall As When He Stoops To Help a Child. Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    Thanks for the response! I disabled all in Startup and rebooted. But before I could open any program, I got one of those dreaded "We're sorry but Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close....etc." Event viewer shows the same Event ID 1000 citing faulting application explorer.exe. Ideas?
  • KentigernKentigern Milton Keynes UK
    edited February 2007
    Does it happen in safe mode as well?
  • adarryladarryl No Man Stands So Tall As When He Stoops To Help a Child. Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    Thanks Kentigern! I seem to have gotten it. I used your link to migrate data to a new user profile and deleted the original one. I lost a few personal settings in the process (a minor detail) but no more Event ID 1000 faulting explorer.exe issues in Event Viewer. All seems good. If it shows up again, I'll post back but it's good for now. Thank you much!!