bios/xp hdd size recognition problem

edited March 2007 in Hardware
Hello people...

I have an 80gb hdd (model HDS728080PLAT20) that for reasons unbeknownst to me both bios and xp believe to be a 31gb drive.

This first occured a while ago after a faulty PSU (as I later learned) caused my pc to repeatedly hang in alarming ways.

I've replaced the PSU and everything seems to be ticking over nicely now, and I'd like to know if I can make the pc read the true size of the drive, as its driving me up the wall!

the drive is empty now as I've reformatted it several times; windows will only let me format it to 31.4gb.

Comments

• edited March 2007
    Are you running the latest patch version of the BIOS?
  • edited March 2007
    Timsey wrote:
    Are you running the latest patch version of the BIOS?

how do you upgrade the bios?:confused:
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited March 2007
    marsbar007 wrote:
    how do you upgrade the bios?:confused:
    First, check the current BIOS version. The Pause key on the keyboard is handy for freezing the screen so you can write it all down.

Tell us which version you have now and what the exact brand, model #, and revision motherboard you have and we can see what's available.

Also, did the drive work properly before the faulty PSU caused you trouble? If the hard drive was identified properly before then the problem is not with your BIOS. Answer that question and we can advise you on how to get things going again. :)