Issues with comp

edited February 2007 in Hardware
I have a thread up for my friend's computer but I've now come up with problems with my own computer. Basically, my computer will randomly freeze up (i notice it when my mouse suddenly stops moving --) and to check i press my num lock key to see if the computer is responsive. I don't know what the problem could be. I thought I had caught something, but I got my hjt log checked out and I was told it looked clean.

This brings me back to an earlier issue I was having. After about a month or so from upgrading to an Opt 148, I noticed pretty high temperature levels. Also I was getting a lot of lag with 100% cpu usage when all I was doing was using firefox. I fixed this by changing the ram settings from 2T to 1T (forgot to change after I installed new cpu). This seemed to take car of the lag problem, but I think 2 weeks later (a couple days ago) my computer started doing random freeze ups. After it freezes if I try to restart my computer it goes to the Windows XP screen, loads and then comes to a dark page. Usually it goes to the dark page and then to the "welcome" page, but instead it just stays at the dark page. Btw I checked my temps and it was something like 33 degrees after it froze. So I figured it can't be overheating or anything like that. But I was wondering if maybe I got a bad cpu? I wanted to think that that wasn't the problem as it was working fine the first month, but I'm not sure what else the problem could be.

Thanks in advance. :)

Comments

• zero-counterzero-counter Linux Lubber San Antonio Member
    edited February 2007
    Couple of things to consider. Power supply, incorrectly mounted cpu fan, anti-virus scan.

Have you tried running the system with the original processor to see how long it runs stable?
  • edited February 2007
    EDIT**

switched cpu after getting the thermal grease. runs fine now. i guess it was the cpu. :/