Changed Computer Config, Now Windows Won't Let Access My IDE Drive's Files!

edited February 2007 in Hardware
hello,

I am having an issue setting up my IDE HDD(250GB) and SATA HDD(160GB).

to shine a little light on the situation let me explain what occurred. My old PC's MOBO died on me, so I purchased a new PSU, MOBO, SATA HDD, and CPU. I installed everything correctly. I didn't want to format my IDE HDD since i have files in there I need to recover. So I installed windows on my SATA HDD 160GB all recognized.

Once Windows was loaded, I connected my IDE HDD as a Primary Slave, HDD was recognize but only 32GBs, I loaded the drivers and restarted computer, but no changes were made. Everytime I would try and open the drive I would get a prompt to format the drive.

I then installed the drive as a Primary Master and made the SATA HDD the boot drive in BIOS. Yet still windows did not recognize the entire drive and it was still unaccessible. Whenever i would load the drivers CD the CD would run before WINDOWS would load, and the diagnostic would recognize the entire drive but once Windows was loaded only 32GBs are visible. Is there a way to set this drive up without formatting it? if not is there a way to retrieve the important data I have in that HDD? please if anyone can help I'd appreciate it greatly.