5200+ X2 or 5400+ X2?

RMFRMF
edited March 2007 in Hardware
Hi guys,

I'm just about to build a new pc and can't make my mind up about which CPU to purchase.

I have actually ordered all of my parts but I'm thinking about changing my mind on the processor. Below are the specs.

AMD 64 5400+ X2 (2x512kb L2)
ASUS M2N-E
WD HDD RAPTOR 150GB 16MB S-ATA 10000RPM (WD1500ADFD)
KINGSTON 2X 1GB PC2-5300/677
MSI GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB DDR3 HDCP

Now, Initially I was going to go for the 5200+ for the CPU which is 200Mhz slower than the 5400+, but the L2 cache is 1MB x2 instead of 512. Will this really make so much of a difference? Should I go for the smaller cache or for the lower clock speed with the larger L2 cache? :confused: The 5400 is only marginally more expensive so thats not the issue, but obviously I want to get the best out of the money that I'm spending.

Thanks in advance for any help.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=main vAlign=top align=right width=30></TD><TD class=main vAlign=top></TD><TD class=main vAlign=top align=right></TD></TR><TR><TD class=main vAlign=top align=right width=30></TD><TD class=main vAlign=top></TD><TD class=main vAlign=top align=right></TD></TR><TR><TD class=main vAlign=top align=right width=30></TD><TD class=main vAlign=top></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Comments

• RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    I think I might be inclined to go for the 5200 with 1MBx2 cache and over clock it, but if you're not over clocking then I think sticking with what you have is the best choice.
  • edited February 2007
    If the difference in price is not that much go with the 1 mb cache, however I am running the 4600 XP X2 with 512 and game with it, no problems, no lag either. I am running SLI too, the video cards both have 512mb on them too. It is always a toss up whether or not the extra cache will help. I say if you can afford it go for the best you can get at the time.
  • Radio91PRadio91P Layton, UT New
    edited March 2007
    Just a note on the M2N-E. I had a lot of problems with it due to horrible bios. Double check and see if they have come out with better revision.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    Go with the 52 and bump you bus speed up a touch to make up for the diff.
  • NosferatuNosferatu Arizona
    edited March 2007
    I'd go with the 5200+ w/ 2x1MB cache. Like others have said, you can always OC in the future if need be but you can't add cache.
  • RMFRMF
    edited March 2007
    I decided in the end to go with the 5400+ as I can't see myself overclocking it anytime soon. Also, I decided to go with the M2N-SLI deluxe instead incase I decide to buy an extra 8800GTS in the future. :)

Thanks for the advice though guys.