Security Code for USB Bluetooth Dongle?

CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄ƷDer Millionendorf- Icrontian
edited February 2007 in Hardware
I just got a Bluetooth dongle for my computer, and I want to pair it with my Bluetooth enabled mobile phone. I've hit a snag.

When I try to put both devices into pairing mode, they do find each other, however they both then ask for the security code for the other device. I just hit next on the PC, without entering a code at all, and it seemed to be fine with that. However, the phone will not let me leave the field blank. it says 'Error: no text entered' I tried '0000' and '1234'. No dice.

I searched my manuals and online documentation. also no help for this issue. Anyone more familiar with Bluetooth able to help me out?

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    Sometimes it's the last four digits of your phone number.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    The Jerk Store called...

They want to remind you that you don't get paid for overtime...

:P
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    uh.. The security code for your phone is sometimes the last four digits of your phone number. It's preprogrammed from your mobile provider.
    edited February 2007
    Sorry, I thought you were ribbing me... ;) it's not the code for the phone I need, it's the code for the USB dongle... The phone found the blank field to be perfectly acceptable...

I should have realised that you woulnd't try to give me a joke solution... :buck:

Here's a more precise sequence of connectivity events, to show you what I mean:

I start pairing mode for the USB dongle and for the mobile phone.

While the phone is still searching, the PC asks me for the phone's security code.

I hit 'pair now' without entering anything into the field.

The phone then stops searching, and says 'Pairing request from [computername], accept?'

I press okay.

Now the phone says 'Enter passkey:'

This is where I'm stuck. I can't find a passkey for the USB Dongle...

edit: I have since found that the phone doesn't need to be in pairing mode for this to work, I only have to set it to 'Visible'.
    edited February 2007
    Well, with more experimentation, I figured it out...

I had to enter the same thing on both sides...

I tried entering '1234' on the PC side, and then '1234' on the phone side, and now they're paired...
  • MissilemanMissileman Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    When pairing bluetooth devices it's just like the WPA or WEP on wireless router/wifi card.

It does the same thing. Encryption key AND password so the devices can connect securely.

Took me a lot of reading to figure that out my first time and you hit it right away :bigggrin: