Java vs. C++/C#

jj Sterling Heights, MI Icrontian
edited February 2007 in Internet & Media
Ok, there has been a debate of what programming language is better, Java or C family. I'm just learning C++ and my next step is programinng windows applications. Mostly little helpful programs for work...nothing big. What advantages/disadvantages do these programming launguages have? I'm a newb at best.

Comments

• shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    In C++, you need to worry a lot more about memory and leaks.
    JAVA gives you Xplat easier, because the JVM runs on all/most systems. It also has garbage collection (memory management).
    C# has the memory management features of java, and the C-syntax that people like. I'm not that familiar with C#, though.

App Speed (in general):
    C++ > C# > JAVA

Development ease/speed (in general):
    C# == JAVA > C++

If you're writing for windows, I'd probably suggest C#. If you have a personal preference between JAVA/C#, go with whatever you like.
  • BLuKnightBLuKnight Lehi, UT Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    I have to agree with shwaip. It's much simpler to do GUIs in C#. I never want to touch Java's swing again.

As for app speed, Java used to be slow as a dog. The most recent releases of Java have closed the gap significantly.

Overall, I like C# best. However, in the programming world, you're going to want to know as many languages as you can.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    I'd say that knowing as many languages as possible isn't that important. Just have a firm grasp on the OOP concepts, and a good command of a high level language, and it's not hard to move to another high level, or even from a higher (C#/JAVA/C++) to a lower (C).
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    I'm learning JAVA right now, and I really like it. Programming in general. Now that I have a good grasp on JAVA and the OOP concepts its a whole lot easier for me to look at another language and figure it out pretty quickly. Right now I'm mowing through the AP Case Study with ease. All year long my teacher has crammed OO terms down my throat and now its paying off. She said typically only 1/3 of the class passes the AP exam, but she thinks we're different.