Free Web design software for children.

mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
edited March 2007 in Internet & Media
As the title suggests I am looking for some free & easy to use software for my 12 year old cousin to use. He has no HTML skills, and a limited level of computer knowledge so the easier the better. He will need to be able to design and upload to the site.

Thanks!

Comments

• airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    mas0n wrote:
    As the title suggests I am looking for some free & easy to use software for my 12 year old cousin to use. He has no HTML skills, and a limited level of computer knowledge so the easier the better. He will need to be able to design and upload to the site.

Thanks!

I would sign him up for a geocities account. The wysiwyg editor they had when I used it was easy to get the hang of and pretty much designed for the peron with limited knowledge. I'm not sure now though as its been a couple years.
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    Sorry, I forgot to mention that our family already has a domain that he'd like to post to. He'd like to have his own page within that domain.

I assume the geocities editor only allows you to post to your geocities page, is that correct?

Thanks for the quick response.
  • KentigernKentigern Milton Keynes UK
    edited February 2007
    :wave: Does your hosting company not have an easy web writer program WYSIWYG Most of them have something useable plus ftp :)
  • KentigernKentigern Milton Keynes UK
    edited February 2007
    You could also try Coffee cup they have some free some pay programs check them out http://www.coffeecup.com/
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    Kentigern wrote:
    You could also try Coffee cup they have some free some pay programs check them out http://www.coffeecup.com/

I remember playing around with coffee cup in 6th grade. Much more interesting than MS Frontpage thats for sure.:bigggrin:
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    The website is hosted by godaddy.com.

We didn't opt for the inclusion of a site builder into our plan, not really wanting to. CoffeeCup seems like it may be a good place to start for him, thanks everybody. :bigggrin:
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    man...back in my day, we used notepad. or emacs, if we were good. Sometimes we had to use vi as punishment.

AND WE LIKED IT
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    NVU, Amaya are two I've used that are fairly simple.

Check out this Wiki for some more options, but I think Amaya and NVU are going to be your best bets.

Note, Amaya is built by the w3c and thus will be best for conforming to their standards(a good thing), but may not be as easy to use as NVU for a child.

Also, if you have Word... that could do it as well IIRC. I'll try to check around and see what I can find, I am doing something in this area anyways.