Need Coders

V-PV-P State College, PA Member
edited February 2007 in Internet & Media
Well, I still have the idea for a new web service, and of all the people I've asked at least 95% thought it was a good idea, so I want to go through with it -- before someone else does. Since I don't have the skill to code this, I need someone else to do it. I have learned a bit, enough so someone can't pull something on me, and I also have a friend who knows this stuff well enough to look over the final product for mistakes and such. So what I'm offering is a percentage of ownership, since I can't afford to pay anyone since I'm a minor. How much ownership you ask? Well, I don't know I'd have to talk to you, but no more than 39%. This is a slightly larger project than MySpace, and if we market it right, it is definitely a high-return investment. So if you think you can do it, and you're up for it, IM me or PM me.

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    Just some business advice: Don't say "I don't know how much I'm willing to offer" and then say "no more than 39%" - what that means is anyone who is going to help you will say "well then, 39% it is..."

Be firm and consistent, and offer a firm number. Don't be wishy-washy, you'll just get taken advantage of.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    Some coding advice: to do something "slightly larger than MySpace" you're going to need a team of coders and a lot more infrastructure than Short-Media has. Might want to pick up "Building Scalable Web Sites" from O'Reilly.
  • V-PV-P State College, PA Member
    edited February 2007
    Some coding advice: to do something "slightly larger than MySpace" you're going to need a team of coders and a lot more infrastructure than Short-Media has. Might want to pick up "Building Scalable Web Sites" from O'Reilly.
    I could be wrong, but wasn't Myspace originally a 2 guy thing? Anyway, I've been trying to find ways of getting a team of 5-10 people, but it all comes down to cash, which I don't have. So I found TechStars and Y Combinator. Y Combinator is done for the year, so TechStars is a good choice for me ATM. I read the site, but it doesn't give too much info. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with this, or any other companies that do the same thing...
  • a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
    edited February 2007
    If the idea you have is as good as you think, you probably shouldn't speak to anyone with the technical know-how to do it without legal documents being signed.
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    slightly off-topic, but MySpace was hardly started as a two man operation.

The shady history of MySpace: Tom is not your friend.

The article is highly biased (among other things) but the history portion is fairly accurate as far as I can tell, and it's a good read.

Good luck with your business, and as a2jfreak suggested, be careful whom you disclose in depth information with.
  • edited February 2007
    I'm always looking for side work. pm me or something.