F@H News: v6, Win SMP, adjustment to points scheme

7im7im AZ
edited February 2007 in Folding@Home
With the GPU and PS3 ports looking more and more mature, we have put more efforts into Win SMP and v6 and I am happy to say that we are begining to testing both with outside alpha testers. It's still early, but we see the light at the end of the tunnel on both now that they're in outside alpha testing.

With the release of v6, we have also planned some adjustments to the point system. It's clear that points are important to everyone. Points are important to the science, as they encourage people to do the science. However, this means that the points scheme has to be aligned such that donors who optimize their points optimize the science of what we need too.

We have a plan on how to improve the current scheme and will announce it as v6 rolls out. V6 has some new features which allow us to make changes to the points scheme that were not possible before, which hopefully will let us optimize the points for science, thus allowing us to do our scientific calculations with even greater efficiency.

I'm generally not a fan of announcements without something more concrete (eg a download for the new beta clients would be nice), but I wanted to let people know what was coming, especially considering concerns that donors have had with the current system. We've read the threads -- thanks for the feedback and suggestions. The new system likely won't make *everyone* happy, but I bet it will resolve the issues raised and it will also be better for the science. More details to follow.

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    Thanks for post, 7im :)
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    Is there a reason the above text is posted 3 times?

**edit - Ahh it has now been adjusted :)
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    Good stuff, can't wait to try out the SMP client :D
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    SMP is the Super Mega Pimp client.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    SWEET... looking forward to upgrading my PCs.... WAIT A MINUTE. I'm not looking forward to this since I cannot find all my folding PCs. They're spread out all over the midwest.... Oh well.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    I have been putting off going to SMP on my two dual processor machines. This might be enough to encourage me to get it done.
  • Ultra-NexusUltra-Nexus Buenos Aires, ARG
    edited February 2007
    Windows SMP will simply rock!
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited February 2007
    <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" height="100%" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td colspan="2" valign="top" width="100%"><table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td class="postbody" valign="top"> 32bit Windows is the plan. we would love to release 32-bit linux, but that will wait for 32-bit windows. As always, we're trying to use limited our development time most efficiently so that our development work can help FAH the most in terms of the CPU power needed to advance the science. </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="genmed" valign="bottom">
    </td><td>
    </td></tr> </tbody></table> </td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="2" height="100%" valign="bottom">
    <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" height="100%" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td colspan="2" valign="top" width="100%"><table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td class="postbody" valign="top">
    </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="genmed" valign="bottom">Might be some life left in my old dual Xeon yet.
    </td><td>
    </td></tr> </tbody></table> </td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="2" height="100%" valign="bottom">
    </td></tr></tbody></table>