M3U to PLP

V-PV-P State College, PA Member
edited February 2007 in Internet & Media
I thought I posted on this topic before, but the search revealed nothing, so here goes. I need to convert my Winamp M3U playlists to PLP so my sansa can read it. It would be very convenient if winamp would do it for me with a plugin or something.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2007
  • V-PV-P State College, PA Member
    edited February 2007
    Thrax wrote:

Yea, I tried it. It only converts to pla. I need plp. It says it won't read pla.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    I've had a hell of a time figuring that out, but I'm still working on it, and I'll let you know if I get it working. The only tip I can give you is write the new playlist file as Unicode text (should be an option in Notepad).

The following is what a Sandisk rep told me. I haven't gotten this to work yet; I'm pretty sure some important detail or two is missing.

This will provide basic instructions on how you can get an m3u playlist to work on the Sansa m200, e200, and c100 series MP3 players. Keep in mind that SanDisk does not officially support this feature. Thus, if these instructions are not sufficent, there would be nothing further that we could do to assist you in this regard.

First create an m3u playlist using Winamp or Windows Media Player. Do this by adding the songs you want (in order) to the now playlist list, then save it as a playlist (make sure you choose m3u for the type).

Next you need to edit the m3u file using Notepad. Find the file through My Computer or My Documents, then right-click it and Open With > Choose Program > Notepad. The first line of the file should be #EXTM3U. After that, you will see 2 lines of text for each song in the playlist. Leave the first line alone for each song. For the second line, you need to delete everything except for the filename (which is everything before and including the last \ ). Repeat that step for every each song listed. After that, save the file by going to File, Save.

Next, make sure your player is in MSC mode (Menu > Settings > USB > MSC). Then connect the player to the computer. Now simply copy-and-paste the m3u file to the Removable Disk. Also copy all the songs to the Removable Disk. If you get an error after 120/130 songs, then make a folder on the Removable Disk called "Music" and copy the rest of the songs into there.
    edited February 2007
    V|P wrote:
    Yea, I tried it. It only converts to pla. I need plp. It says it won't read pla.

Been awhile since I've looked at it, but I think they're pretty much the same.

I'll take a look at Thrax's linked info later this week. It sounds like something else I've already tried, but the devil's in the details. Right now, the index on my player is all screwed up, and sees some of my albums twice and doesn't see some songs at all. So I won't screw with my player until later this week when I have time to go elbows deep.

Oh, and Sansa's advice to fix my index problem? Format it. Thanks guys :rolleyes:
  • V-PV-P State College, PA Member
    edited February 2007
    So is there supposed to be software or something that comes with, or do they expect the average Joe to learn how to do this or use the go list all the time?
    edited February 2007
    They don't expect us to want to use M3U. I loathe the WMP method of syncing to facilitate playlists, though, so I'm determined to figure something out.

It's irritating because it's not like it would be hard to support regular, unmodified M3U files in the software. They just... didn't.