8800 GTS troubles

Radio91PRadio91P Layton, UT New
edited February 2007 in Hardware
Hey guys,

Just installed a 8800 GTS video card with a P5B deluxe. I am now having wierd issues. When system is booting it will repeat listing the drives found. Possibly thinking that there is a problem with the Jmicron controller. Possible compatibility issue. Has anyone heard anything about that?

Thanks

Comments

• Radio91PRadio91P Layton, UT New
    edited February 2007
    Also, my DVD drive seems to running very slow, like it's getting confused. Oh and I am running bios 1004
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    I have two devices hooked to jmicron PATA and a GTS with no issues on the same BIOS version. Have you reset your BIOS? Hard reset via the jumper.
    edited February 2007
    Hey Thrax,

I have tried to reflash the bios and jump it. Evga said check the psu and motherboard compatibility. I have not been able to figure anything out. When in windows installs would crash. Some would just stop. When the posting more items were posting then normal. The bios was sluggish. Quite laggy. Never seen that before.

Thanks for your ideas man!
    edited February 2007
    My BIOS is laggy too on the GTS. Threw me through a loop, but it hasn't caused any problems.

Let's see, installs crashing. Memtest? I know it doesn't sound logical, but we all know how much RAM likes to crash programs. :D
    edited February 2007
    I just ran memtest with no errors. Tonight I will test the DVD player. Do you think that it could be a bad PSU. What's the best way to test the PSU. I replaced the 8800GTS with my old 7900GT and the install still failed. I am thinking that the 8800GTS is fine just not something else.

Thanks,
    edited February 2007
    It's very possible that it's the PSU. The 8800GTS is a much higher draw than the 7900GT. It's easiest to test the PSU with a multimeter.. You should get 5v and 12v (+/-0.2v) when you test black/red and black/yellow respectively. If you're getting anything but, or rapidly-fluctuating values, she's dead, Jim.