In Dire Need Of Help

edited February 2007 in Hardware
Hi people i really need some help. My computer keeps diying on me. It keeps freezing up no mouce move ment and all part of the time and sometimes it freezes up and just mouce move ment is all idk what to do its really irratating that i half to restart my computer every 5-10 min and when i start my comptuer up i half to go and disable my internet connection and reinable it idk whats rong but it sucks my setup is amd athlon xp 1500+ 1.33 GHz 896 MB of RAM 256 MB video card nvidia gforce 5200 FX linksys eathernet card and crystal sound fusion sound card its not over heating to freez it stays someware around 115-125 F wich is normal for my computer (actuall kinda low) so it would be greatly appreacheaded if i can get some help

Comments

• airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    This is the friend I got the 1500 for. I can't really figure out what is causing him the problems, but I'm wondering if its the memory. But I also think it could be the NIC.
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    Start with the basics:

Press F8 during boot, before first Windows loading screen and select Safe Mode, if it doesn't freeze in safe mode, it is most likely not hardware

use memtest from memtest86 to test memory

use a utility from your hard drive manufacturer to test your hard drive, if you aren't sure who makes it, use Drive Fitness Test from hitachi as it works on most drives

If you think you have a bad NIC uninstall the driver and disable it in Device Manager, then reboot and see if you freeze up.

Also check Event Viewer inside Computer Management and look for errors in either System or Applications

Report back.
  • edited February 2007
    ya ive tryed everything excpt the memory test thang becouse the cd drives on my good compter are screwed and my computer that im trying to fix whont stay unfrozen long enuff for me to even put it on there and burn it to a cd and i really hope its not the RAM becouse thats the only pc 133 that i have
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    so does that mean you still freeze up while you are in safe mode?
  • edited February 2007
    no as far as i know it doesent i tryed but i guess there just wasent enough programs running becouse everytime i start up windows media player in regualer mode it freezes or gets really slow or all windows stop responding but i can still move the mouse and i half to hold the power button or hit the reswitch botton to restart idk whats rong
  • edited February 2007
    do you think a bad mouce will do all that?
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited February 2007
    Have you tried the other items that MasOn mentioned yet? Until those items get ruled out, we're paddling up a stream. (one step at a time)