dvd rom drive not working

edited March 2007 in Hardware
hi my IDE dvd rom drive is not working. it does not read any types of disks. can you help me?

Comments

• jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    Does it even show up in My Computer? Does it show the drive is empty when you put a disk in? What errors come up?

We need a little more information to proceed.
  • edited February 2007
    oh sorry about that. yes it does say "dvd drive" in my computer. i put a disc in and double click "dvd drive" and it says "please insert a disk" even though there is already one in it. no error messages pop up
  • jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    Well if it does this on every disk you put into the drive, and you have tested them on another computer, most likely the drive is going/gone bad.

One thing you can do is right click on My Computer -> Properties. Now click on the Hardware tab -> Device Manager.

You should see a list that says DVD/CD-ROM drives. You may have to click the '+' to expand the list. Once you see all the drives do any of then have a question mark or exclamation before them?

I am assuming that the drive just starting malfunctioning randomly?

cheers :jared:
  • edited March 2007
    no there is no exclamation or question mark before the drives. yes the disks do work on other drives on different computers. it did happen randomly