Svc or Scv?

JalJal UK
edited March 2007 in Hardware
Major problem! Everytime I start my computer up I get an error message saing that svchost cannot be found! It's either that or scvhost. I tried a scan on my system and it came up with svchost.exe and other stuff about that. I copied and pasted them into the system 32 folder where my pc was looking and it didn't help. I've also downloaded RegCure for my pc and while it was scanning I got BSoDed. Although when I open up task manager it says that svchost is running. This is really odd and I am extremely confused.

Another problem, why when I plug my external hard drive into my laptop (through a USB 2.0 port) does the computer just switch off? ANy ideas on how to stop that apart from "Don't plug in the hard drive in" would be helpful, thanks.

Thanks in advance for anybody who can help!

Comments

• Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    Jal wrote:
    Major problem! Everytime I start my computer up I get an error message saing that svchost cannot be found! It's either that or scvhost. I tried a scan on my system and it came up with svchost.exe and other stuff about that. I copied and pasted them into the system 32 folder where my pc was looking and it didn't help. I've also downloaded RegCure for my pc and while it was scanning I got BSoDed. Although when I open up task manager it says that svchost is running. This is really odd and I am extremely confused.

Another problem, why when I plug my external hard drive into my laptop (through a USB 2.0 port) does the computer just switch off? ANy ideas on how to stop that apart from "Don't plug in the hard drive in" would be helpful, thanks.

Thanks in advance for anybody who can help!

For the first issue, it sounds like you might have gotten a trojan of some sort, try this, as it might just work :)

Run HiJackThis and click this entry to be fixed:
    F3 - REG:win.ini: load=C:\WINDOWS\svchost.exe
    Click "Fix Checked"

Run the scan again and no error should be found :)

Your 2nd issue is kind of unclear? do you have a external USB drive you want to turn off, and still have it connected to your laptop? or do you just want to be able to disbale and enable it when you need it?
  • JalJal UK
    edited February 2007
    Your 2nd issue is kind of unclear? do you have a external USB drive you want to turn off, and still have it connected to your laptop? or do you just want to be able to disbale and enable it when you need it?

No, basically, my External Hard drive has the capability to turn itself off and on with the pc if you flip some switch. If you flip it the other way you can turn it on and off without connecting it to a pc. I turn it on, while it is disconnected from the pc and then wen I plug it into the pc my pc just dies. Completely. No BSoD, no shut down options it just turns off as if the USB port diverts the power away from the pc completely.

And thanks with the first problem, it's been bugging me for bloomin' ages! xD

Also, I can't see a box or anything to enter that thing to be fixed. Do I just press "Scan" first and then find it?
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited February 2007
    Run a HijackThis scan and post the log here, but don't delete anything just yet.

Svchost.exe is a process which can include many different items. It is normal to see multiple instances of it running. Let us have a look at your HJT log and we'll advise you from there. :)
  • JalJal UK
    edited March 2007
    I ran HijackThis but where can I get this log from? I didn't see anything after I had scanned, do I need to put on a setting or click something before I see it?
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    Click on the "Do a system scan and save a log file" button. It will scan and then ask you to save the log.
    • Name the log "HJTLog" (or something similar ;)) and save it on your desktop.