computer shutting off on powerup

edited March 2007 in Hardware
I have a problem with my computer...obviously. I bought it a couple of years ago. I added a dvd burner and new hard drive. Last year it would just shut off while I was working on it. Someone told me that the stock 350w psu was not enough for everything that was on it. I bought a 600w psu and installed it. Every 10 or so times when I turn it on, it will turn on for about 3 seconds then turn off and won't turn on again unless I unplug the cord from the psu wait about 5 seconds and plug it back in. I have just dealt with it but now I am tired of dealing with it. What is the chance of getting a bad psu new out of the box. Any other ideas. Thanks

AMD 2400
1.gig mem
80 gig hd
usb 2.0 upgrade
3.5 floppy..what is this for..lol
<!-- / message -->

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited March 2007
    What brand is your motherboard and what brand and model is your new PSU?

I don't want to sound gloomy, but I have a system that does the exact same thing (having to occasionally unplug the power cord to get it to start up). This has been going on for several years and through several PSU's. In my case, I think the problem lies with the motherboard itself. :(
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    Yes, that sounds like a motherboard problem or a RAM problem.

Does it also still randomly shut down during operation?
  • edited March 2007
    no more shutting down during operation. It is a ASUS but I dont remember which one. I also don't remember the psu either. I will pull the cover off tonight and look.
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited March 2007
    Download cpu-z and once it is running, click on: "cpu" for proc details, "mainboard" for more details and "spd" for memory details.:)

Makes life very easy.
  • edited March 2007
    OK my bad. That was my wifes board is the asus. My board is a ASRock K7VM2 and my PSU is a POWORK pw-600, memory is hyundai ddr2100. Anything else?
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited March 2007
    I'd see if there is an updated BIOS for your board. It didn't help me, but that doesn't mean it won't fix your problem.

If you need help doing that, just yell. :)