New Hd Vista Problem

-Mac--Mac- Vancouver, Canada
edited March 2007 in Hardware
ok guys and galls ive got a new problem and one i havent seen shared in the circuits yet. i own 2hard drives and both worked fine and dandy in xp but then i installed vista and it never registered my second hard drive in My Computer yet it does see it in Device Manager & the bios. now this is an amazingly fast and common hard drive (the WD 74gb 10,000rpm below)

Maxtor DiamondMax 10 300GB 7200RPM 16MB ATA-133 EIDE OEM

Western Digital Raptor 74GB SATA 10000RPM 8MB 4.5MS

SO!! ..can anyone tell me what i can do in vista to see this hd again? or what i should be looking for with my cables inside? or anything? im fairly affluent in hardware and software but kinda only enough to be able to play bad ass games. i built this machine below by myself so if i need to dig inside to check/change something i can. i need it help asap! im going back to xp cuz im tired of games taking too much effort just to play them in vista :'(

Comments

• shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    I'd guess that you don't have the drivers for the SATA controller installed. Is it connected to the motherboard (and if so, what mobo), or is it connected to a separate controller (and if so, what controller)?

edit. whoops. i can't read. you say it's seen in the device manager.

does it show up in drive management?
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    I have 2 HD's running in my laptop vis SATA connection, and i have 2 HD's running in my wifes PC under Vista as well.

I am looking into the issue to see if it is with the WD Raptor drive. I have one that I will test out.
  • -Mac--Mac- Vancouver, Canada
    edited March 2007
    to shwaip:
    well my mobo is in my sig its a SUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe ATX S939 SLI X16 DDR 2PCI-E16 and yes its connected to my mobo directly. i need like details of what to look for and where.

and to sledge:
    are you saying u have the WD raptors aswell and they dont work in ur vista?
    edited March 2007
    |Mac| wrote:
    to shwaip:
    well my mobo is in my sig its a SUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe ATX S939 SLI X16 DDR 2PCI-E16 and yes its connected to my mobo directly. i need like details of what to look for and where.

and to sledge:
    are you saying u have the WD raptors aswell and they dont work in ur vista?

I am saying I have a drive and will see if it works as a 2nd drive in vista...
    edited March 2007
    oh ok. ty
    edited March 2007
    Before i test things, I was thinking your SATA driver for your motherboard is not installed correctly, or it could be that the version on the Disc shipped with the Motherboard isn't any good. I will go hook up my drive while you head over to ASUS and get the newest XP SATA driver "Probably under their IDE section" for your mother board.
    edited March 2007
    open control panel, and search (in the upper right hand corner for "format".

The top result should be "create and format hd partitions". Click it to open disk management. Does it show up there, and what does disk management say about it?

i'm pretty sure this is the driver you'd want, directly from Si's site:
    http://www.siliconimage.com/docs/3132-vista-x86-logo-1.0.19.0.zip
    edited March 2007
    ok i follow you. yes it does show up there as:

Disk o
    Basic
    69.25GB 69.25GB
    Online Unallocated

it should be 74gb so idk whats up with that maybe i left something on it hmm. it does NOT show up in the top section where theres Volume. Layout. Type. File System. Status. etc. the above is from the loswe half of the Disk Management page.

what now?
    edited March 2007
    So...that means that vista thinks it's not formatted. Did you have it formatted (were you using it) in XP? Assuming you're dual booting, if you go back to xp, can you see the drive?
    edited March 2007
    i am not also using xp. i was. but i wiped both drives then installed vista fresh on the drive that works. is the other drive just not formatted to vista like how xp needed ntcf or w/e it was. how do i achieve this.
    edited March 2007
    Go back to the disk management menu, right click the drive, and select format.
    edited March 2007
    okay ive got it. u gotta right click on the long length picture representing ur GBs and select:
    >1.new simple volume... then theres a wizard.

thanks for your help i havent gone through vista as much as i have xp and well like a good woman i prefer to like everything i know about her before i go pokin around under her outfit. back to xp for me! after i tranfer my files thx again!
    edited March 2007
    where are you right-clicking? If this were your hd setup, you should click where it says tv1 (your screen probably says unallocated):
    edited March 2007
    yup that was my problem i was clicking where it said drive 0. ive edited my post to my wrong as i figured it out inside the time u saw my last post and the time u took that pic and posted it. tyvm for your help kind sir. its currently formating at 57%
This discussion has been closed.