RAID 0 Failing Drive

edited March 2007 in Hardware
I've had a 2-disk RAID 0 machine for quite a while, so a failure doesn't surprise me. This is the first time I got a message about one disk in the array failing. The message gave me 3 options, power off and check, delete array, boot up without one disk. I powered off and re-started and it booted fine the second time.

Fluke, or am I flirting with disaster? What should I do to check things out? I think the drives are getting full too which probably doesn't help things. Any easier way to ghost my system over these days to a single PATA drive? Last time I looked at Ghosting, I had SCSI opticals which made it difficult to boot into a DOS mode to run. I have a regular DVD drive now though.

Comments

• QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    Flirting with certain disaster!!! If one drive dies on a RAID 0, all the data on both the drives is gone.

Try to back up any data on that RAID 0. Once you have the drives backed up, run diagnostics on the drives. It may be the RAID card/ controller.
  • edited March 2007
    OK, i've NEVEr had to mess with my RAID array once I set it up long ago. Are there typically diagnostics built into the RAID card? Do I run some software, or get into the RAID setup during boot? Lost!
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    Get a copy of Acronis trueimage immediately and back that sucker up to a single drive. Whether or not you have raid diagnostics available depends entirely on your controller. If you have a high end card, they typically have diagnostics. Onboard motherboard-based "soft" controllers typically do not.