OMG x1950 and H2O leak

edited March 2007 in Hardware
Well here's the situation, just got an x1950 pro 512... ran great for about 2 weeks, so I decided on sending in the rebate before it expired, which required cutting off the upc and voiding the return policy. Anywhoo, 2 days I noticed some strange activity, didn't want to boot... little things. Last night it booted with crazy stripes of different colors and numbers after the post. Thought it might be the temp since my heater's up. I added coolent to the pump, blah no change, messed around for a little bit then suddenly noticed! My cpu heat sink hose was loose and I noticed a small amount of red stain(coolant) on the x1950's heat sink. It had dripped down and ran into a vent hole. I took apart the vid card and cleaned it with alcohol and q-tips. It will now boot, still with the 60's color show, in windows I have bad 2d, it's showing little fuzzy things all over the screen, that randomly move. If I try to open something with 3d, it says it can't find an adaptor. No noticable damage to the card, but I can't look under the processor since it's made onto the card. Any ideas are welcome and does anyone think I can get an RMA from the manufactor? hahaha I think I'm going to lose it. Mommy!

Comments

• airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    Well, if it had done that on its own I'm sure they would RMA it no problem, or at least take care of the warranty. But since you basically dribble liquid on it thats not a problem on their end of the stick so to speak.

It appears you may have bought yourself a $250 paperweight.
  • edited March 2007
    That's what I'm worried about, do you think I can take the pain out on thermaltake?
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    doubt it. You should always test a liquid cooling system for a day or two to test for leaks.
  • edited March 2007
    It's been working great for about a year and 1/2, suddenly it just leaked. I even replaced the tubes and coolant about 4mo ago, look's like the heatsink itself is the bandit. I've heard of computer's submerged before, any idea's? Is it possiable to remove the gpu from the card to see if somehow it leaked through?
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited March 2007
    As long as you still have the stock cooler on it rma it.

If you don't bye bye warranty.
  • edited March 2007
    I still have stock cooling, the only thing I did while trying to repair it, was wipe off that playdoh crap thermal compound and replaced it with my own