Startup Shutdown

edited March 2007 in Hardware
Im using 2 computer as of now
anyways..
(window XP)
all of a sudden, the other computer just shut down,
when the computer gets to the part where its loading, it freezes and does this quick blue screen flash with all these things for a quick second and reboot itself again and even if i try going on safe mode, it still does the same thing.

is something wrong with the computer or do i just need to wait for a while?

Comments

• mtroxmtrox Minnesota
    edited March 2007
    Yea that's a tough one Omega. If you can't even get into Windows to make a change before it blue screens and reboots, you can still deal with it, but your work's cut out for you. You do need to see that blue screen.
    1. If you just added a piece of hardware, I'd say remove that hardware and see if you can boot.
    2. Blue Screens can also be a sign of faulty memory. You could go to http://www.memtest.org/#downiso and download an .iso that would make a bootable CD. You boot up with that and it tests your RAM.
    3. If it's neither of those, then you need to see the blue screen to have a clue. If you go to MS Knowledge base you'll see they advise you to install a parallel version of Windows, just so you can get in and edit the registry. You could also do that if you are adventuresome enough to make a Bart's PE disk. You can edit the registry through that also. In either option, you can edit the registry so that your computer doesn't automatically reboot at the blue screen. In either of these cases, you have to be pretty comfortable with some high level geeking around.
    4. Or.....if you just want you data and are willing to rebuild from scratch, you could put the hard drive in another machine and copy off the data.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited March 2007
    If you go to Control Panel>>System>>Advanced>>Startup & Recovery and uncheck the box marked "Automatically Restart" you should be able to see the Blue Screen. :)

EDIT: And I guess my advice is pretty useless, seeing as how you're not likely to be able to do any of that... :-/
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    It can be done if you can remove the problem computers hard drive. With a USB IDE converter, you can mount the bad PC drive to the good one, get into regedit and mount the registry from the other PC, change the bit. Unmount the registry, remove the drive, put it back into the old PC and she'll stop restarting on Blue Screen Errors.

I can go into more detail if you think you can handle it... let me know.
  • mtroxmtrox Minnesota
    edited March 2007
    QCH2002 wrote:
    It can be done if you can remove the problem computers hard drive. With a USB IDE converter, you can mount the bad PC drive to the good one, get into regedit and mount the registry from the other PC, change the bit. Unmount the registry, remove the drive, put it back into the old PC and she'll stop restarting on Blue Screen Errors.

I can go into more detail if you think you can handle it... let me know.

QHC that's good.....that's d--n good. I don't know why that wouldn't work. So you do everything just like the KB article I talked about, and when you do the "Load Hive" step you just point to the USB hard drive. I like it.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    Saved my butt more than a few times!!! :D