RAM issues!

edited March 2007 in Hardware
Hi there guys,

Having upgraded to Vista, I have been having some performance issues within games despite having a relatively powerful machine (AMD A64 3400+, 512MB X1900XT).

On the advice of other users, I bought 1GB ram to add to my 1GB. Both are DDR400 PCM3200 sets (previously I had 2x512MB, added 1x1GB). But now...wait for it...games run even slower. :)

Shocker. Hehe..I've tried swapping and changing but is it possible that the new RAM just doesnt like the old stuff. Old is TwinMOS, new is just generic stuff.

Cheers!

S

Comments

• edited March 2007
    Hmmm...well after a bit more testing it's just a bit odd - with the single 1GB RAM stick in I get a an fps of of continually 60. With the 2x512s I get a continuous 60. But with the two together...I get 30!

Seems weird, no blue screens, everything works fine just...really slow! If this makes sense to anyone then I would love to hear an explanation. :) I'll be taking the RAM back anyway, I'm just curious.

Thanks!
  • MissilemanMissileman Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    When you run 4 sticks on an AMD they downclock the RAM from 400Mhz to 333Mhz. It's because the memory controller is on the CPU and not the MB. 4 sticks is a bit more load. When you run 3 sticks (depending on the banking) you usually lose dual channel memory access mode because it requires identical banks for linear access.

You have to run only 2 sticks for best performance which usually means rmoving existing RAM and replacing with bigger sticks.