4gb flash drive

MrBillMrBill Missouri Member
edited April 2007 in Hardware
Well, after plunking around with a couple of 256mb flash drives for awhile and having a need to transfer more data in a single file, I broke down and bought a bigger flash drive.

I picked up a 4gb SanDisk "U3" Cruzer Micro tonight for $50 at BestBuy. No rebates needed!! :)

I don't what the heck U3 is, but I guess I'll figure it out as I go.

Comments

• RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    U3 is portable software... plug in and go.

In theory
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    I personally don't like the U3. I have the same drive but got it at a steal for $40 on black friday.
  • MissilemanMissileman Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    You can remove the U3 stuff if you want and turn it back to a regular USB stick. You have to download a special program either from the manufacturer or U3.com. Bad thing is once you remove it, it is gone forever and cannot be put back. There is an exception to this, but I don't remember which drive maker it was.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    I personally use 'portableapps', it's just as good if not better, and easy to install/uninstall(via copy or delete!)
  • MrBillMrBill Missouri Member
    edited March 2007
    Missileman wrote:
    You can remove the U3 stuff if you want and turn it back to a regular USB stick. You have to download a special program either from the manufacturer or U3.com. Bad thing is once you remove it, it is gone forever and cannot be put back. There is an exception to this, but I don't remember which drive maker it was.
    Yeah, I watched part of the tutorial that starts up first time you plug the drive in. It says it can be removed and if you want to re-install it later, you have to call their tech support. I'll have to do some reading up on U3 before I decide if I want to keep it or not. I think you can synch up with Outlook Express (not that I necessarily want to right now) so that might be something useful at some point.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited March 2007
    Bah, dumb retailers only carry Sandisk. Only Lexar for me man.
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    mmonnin wrote:
    Bah, dumb retailers only carry Sandisk. Only Lexar for me man.

Aren't we highbrow.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    you're dumb for being dumb. you shop at dumb stores and only buy dumb things, dumb nomad!

;D
  • MedlockMedlock Miramar, Florida Member
    edited March 2007
    Hmm...Maybe I missed something. Isn't this thing just a USB flash drive? What's so special about this "U3" software that you have to consider keeping it or not? I thought the whole purpose of the stick was portable storage?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    Do you buy Lexar because it uses micron flash? ;)
    edited March 2007
    TheGr81 wrote:
    Hmm...Maybe I missed something. Isn't this thing just a USB flash drive? What's so special about this "U3" software that you have to consider keeping it or not? I thought the whole purpose of the stick was portable storage?
    I don't know what is special about the U3 software, that's what I'm trying to decide. :D

I bought it for the purpose of portable storage, but if the U3 provides a tool to do other things - then I might keep it installed. If not, I'll remove it and then it will just be a portable storage device. :)
    edited March 2007
    Thrax wrote:
    Do you buy Lexar because it uses micron flash? ;)
    Speaking of Micron, I received a letter the other day about a class action lawsuit that involves them (Crucial memory). They, among other memory manufacturers are being accused of "conspiring to keep DRAM memory prices high" a few years ago.

Shame, shame, shame.....dumb Micron. ;D
  • NomadNomad A Small Piece of Hell Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    dumb dee dumb dumb dumb
  • MissilemanMissileman Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    A "U3 Smart Drive" has a low grade processor chip built into it so when you plug it in you get 2 drives added. The standard USB storage device minus space required for U3 and apps. You also get a virtual CD drive holding the U3 apps and software. U3 apps are designed to run in/on the usb drive in their entirety. When you plug it in you get your whole workspace and when you leave it goes with you.

Here's an info and app link: http://www.u3.com/smart/default.aspx
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    *sigh*... If only I could plug a USB drive into the WYSE terminals at work...
  • TrevTrev California
    edited March 2007
    I just bought a u3 yesterday. I like the portable software mostly because it has a password protection on it. plus it helps organize programs and files.
    but really if you dont like the password protection there is really no use for it i dont think
  • edited April 2007
    my sister got a 200 gigabyte flash drive for a wedding present

haha
    edited April 2007
    I'm calling shenanigans. Maybe she got a hard drive. but as far as a flash drive..nope.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    my sister got a 200 gigabyte flash drive for a wedding present

haha

Impossible at this time.
    edited April 2007
    You're such a cynic, Thrax...

If you got 50 4g drives plugged them into a daisy chain of 13 5-port USB hubs with external power, put all of that into one box, and ran enough power to the box to power all of the hubs, and then wrote special software that instructed the computer to treat all 50 drives as one, it's conceivable that you could have a single device acting as a 200g flash drive.
    edited April 2007
    CB Droege wrote:
    You're such a cynic, Thrax...

If you got 50 4g drives plugged them into a daisy chain of 13 5-port USB hubs with external power, put all of that into one box, and ran enough power to the box to power all of the hubs, and then wrote special software that instructed the computer to treat all 50 drives as one, it's conceivable that you could have a single device acting as a 200g flash drive.

With extreme latency.
  • TrevTrev California
    edited April 2007
    Wow. I wish i was that smart.
    edited April 2007
    With extreme latency.

I'm patient.