Wireless channel? Wireless power setting??

sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
edited March 2007 in Science & Tech
What difference does it make if I change the Wireless Channel that my 2Wire 2701-HGB wireless gateway/router is on? And by default, the power setting was on 4. When I changed it to 10 (the maximum) it fixed some problems that some of the wireless stations were having... what does power setting do and why would it be set pretty low by default?

Comments

• mtroxmtrox Minnesota
    edited March 2007
    sfleuriet wrote:
    What difference does it make if I change the Wireless Channel that my 2Wire 2701-HGB wireless gateway/router is on?

It might be a smart thing to do. By default most of 'em come sending out on channel 6. Your goal is to find a channel no one else is on so there are no conflicts.
    sfleuriet wrote:
    what does power setting do and why would it be set pretty low by default?

I had to look that one up. Haven't seen that. It does turn the transmit power up and down. In an apartment building where there are a lot of wireless signals, you might turn yours down to make it a little harder for 10 apartments around you but I do think it's a bit wierd that it comes turned down by default. Its kind of like selling a cell phone that has crappy reception unless you find some magic setting.
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited March 2007
    Thanks for the response. The channel came default on 1, but I just changed it to 5. The 2 wireless computers were barely loading webpages, some weren't loading at all. But after I changed the channel to 5 and power setting to 10, they work fine now.

Raising the wireless power wont compromise the speed of my WIRED connection, will it?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    No.