Help cloning multiple partitions!

edited March 2007 in Hardware
I am trying to clone my (old) 80 gig IDE HD to a (new) 160 Gig SATA HD and get it successully boot.. I originally had 4 partitions (Vista x86, Vista x64, XP x86, XP x64), I successfully cloned all partitions to the new HD (all partitions created in proportion of course) BUT when i tried to boot it by itself (unplugged the old HD) th Vista BootlOader loads but i cannot successfully boot into any OS, it just gives me the infamous "missing /ntldr" or "missing /windows/winload.exe". I have tried everything (adjusting drive letters using Norton Partition Magic/Drive Mapper, hiding different partitions) and the only way it will load is if i still have the old HD hooked up but hve the new HD first in the boot list in BIOS. In windows it reads that windows is running off the new HD according to the drive letter in the Command Prompt but I think it found the boot files (ntldr and winload.exe) off the old HD...Maybe im wrong, please help :)

PS: I have tried doing the "Repair Windows Installation by pressing the "r" button AFTER ive selected to INSTALL windows (NOT Recovery Console) and The windows XP repair came to a halt when it restarted after copying files and gave me the error "Could not locate file ASMS from the Windows Xp SP 2 CD" (tried everything and no go on that) so unless this problem can be solved first then please help for any other solutions.

Comments

• edited March 2007
    How are you cloning your partitions? Are you using built in windows programs, or professional programs like Norton Ghost and Acronis True Image? As it appears that everything is not being copied.
  • edited March 2007
    sorry i stated it in another forum but forgot to recopy it to this one...i was using Ghost 10.0, but everything got screwed up when i attempted change the new drives letters to C:-F: and the xp on the new drive wouldnt boot either (i was planning on re-cloning it back onto the old HD and cloning it back) so i just backed up inportant goodies and Zero'd the drive and made new partitions so thanks for the help but problem solved i guess :-\