PCI Sil3112a SATA controller issue

edited April 2007 in Hardware
Hi everyone this is my first post so I hope you can help me with this problem.

I have a ASUS P4GE-VM M/B. As this board does not have any SATA connectors on board I have added a PCI SiL 3112a SATA Controller card so i can connect a new WD 320GB H/D.

When I boot up, the contorller and H/D are displayed on Post.
In XP the Controller is showing in device manager as working fine.:)

When I load up Data lifeguard tools to format my new drive and transferr data from my old drive it does not detect the new drive. It only shows the original drive.:(

When I open Silicon Image Controller properties in control pannel there is no device info showing and no info under the flash bios tab:mad:

I have the latest bios for my M/B, 1014, and the drivers for the card is 1.0.56.1.

Can anyone shed any light on how to get the hard drive to be reconized
through the card in XP

Comments

• edited March 2007
    Found the solution. The SATA H/D is SATA2 and the PCI controller only supports SATA1. The hard drive is backward compatiable however some PCI controllers do not reconize this and this is why the H/D does not show up. All I had to do was short out pin 5&6 to restrict the drive to SATA1 and all is sweet.
  • edited April 2007
    Hi,
    I have the same problem .When you say short out the pins 5 and 6 do you mean join them together or just cut them out.The pins are they on the card .My PCI controller has the VT6421 chip and is from a no name manufacturer.
    Any help be grateful.
    Atkin
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    Join them together with a standard hard drive jumper (small plastic thing they put on the drive pins when you bought it) :)
  • edited April 2007
    ATKIN

I covered the pins on the back of the hard drive, the pin numbers may be different depending on what brand hard drive you have. I checked on the manufactures website and found the pins to cover under their support section.
  • edited April 2007
    I did when I first installed to force the HDD to 150 Gs.
    The PC does not recognise the HDD because there is no support in the BIOS. There is no update.! This is my problem .
    Thanks anyhow.

Atkin.
  • edited April 2007
    Atkin

Does your controller card show up when you first start up the computer and does it pick up the hard drive against the controller card. My did even though it was not working in windows.

My Bios had no refference to SATA either however you should have refference to SCSI which is what your hard drive will come under. I set up my boot sequence to SCSI instead of IDE so it boots from the STAT drive first.

IF you go into control pannel, system. hardware devices is your SATA card
    listed under SCSI & Raid Controllers and if so if you right click on it and select properties does it say it is working properly. Also click on the resources tab on the top and see if their are any conflics.

You may also wont to see if you have the lattest drivers for you card.
    Put in VIA VT6421 as a search and go to the VIA site you should find the lattest drivers there under the support tab.

Hope this helps.