Memory Upgrade

RWBRWB Icrontian
edited March 2007 in Hardware
Right now I have 2GB(x2 1Gb sticks) of Corsair 533MHz DDR2 memory at what Sisoft Sandra is showing to be 4-4-4-12 CR1, it's dual channel, but I am only getting 3000MBps bandwidth because of what I believe is a limitation of the chipset which is the Intel 915PM IIRC with the Pentium M processor. It's a notebook naturally.

So I was thinking of possibly a memory upgrade soon, and I'd imagine my bandwidth is limited by the chipset and not the memory so it may be a waste to have 533MHz memory if I can get CAS 3 memory at 400MHz for example, perhaps this would yield a faster computer?

Or does anyone know if perhaps buying PC2 800MHz would be feasible? Or just any suggestions on memory in general?

Comments

• edited March 2007
    I do not think the memory speed and timings will be different with different memory. Notebooks are usually not flexible with memory settings in the BIOS. Faster memory will run at the default speed (e.g. DDR2-800 will run at DDR2-400). Maybe you could improve the timings depending on your notebook's specific model (google?), however there is greater chance that low latency memory will run at default latency (e.g. CAS 3 memory will keep running at CAS 4) as well. You can try, maybe, a tweaking software such as Systool in Windows to tweak the timings. I suggest leave your notebook alone :)
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    At first I thought that this thread had to do with recovering from St. P. Day celebrations.
    With a 915 chipset I don't see you improving speed by changing memory. Save your money to put toward your next machine.