Admin privileges

edited March 2007 in Hardware
I have a HDD that crashed. I installed my OS on a new HDD to attempt to get data off the original before restoring the OS on it, but I cannot access the data on original because of administrator privilages. I am the damn administrator! I need data immediately. This is an emergency. It was an emergency three days ago when I thought spending $26 on Sony restore software would help. Silly boy...

Comments

• KentigernKentigern Milton Keynes UK
    edited March 2007
    :wave: Hi captainron and welcome to Short Media.

Could you please tell us which OS and version you are using.
    The more info we have, the better the folks here can help you. :)
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    Start your PC in safe mode, and follow the steps at this link on whatever folders you need access to:

http://www.short-media.com/forum/showpost.php?p=465537&postcount=2

Disregard the section about sharing folders.
  • edited March 2007
    Thanks for the reply and sorry for the delay. Windows XP Media edition on a sony VAIO.
  • edited March 2007
    Not sure how to get to safe mode from XP. Also could use info on accessing BIOS (which I forgot how to do on Sony VAIO).
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    Tap F8 repeatedly as the PC is starting. Select safe mode w/ networking at the menu that will come up.

BIOS: Press F1, del, ins, F10 and F12 as the PC is first turning on. It's one of those keys.
  • edited March 2007
    Ok thanks. That's what I've been doing (pressing esc-F12, Tab, Insert & Delete). Was hoping to narrow it down. Guess a global shotgun approach will still work for now.