Moving a Raid 0 Array from a failed motherboard

edited March 2007 in Hardware
Hi,

I had a Raid 0 array with 2x40Gb drives on an Abit KR7A-Raid motherboard with an integrated Highpoint HPT372 controller. The disks are fine, but unfortunately the motherboard has died - so I am unable to backup the files from it. :sad2:

I do have a working Abit KD7-Raid motherboard (which also has an integrated Highpoint HPT372 controller).

If I simply plug the drives into this other motherboard will it recognise the array?

What are the chances it will destroy the data on the drives?

Would getting hold of another Abit KR7A-Raid improve my chances at all?

Any assistance greatly appreciated!

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    It is my understanding that identical controllers are the only way to migrate an existing array without harming it.
  • edited March 2007
    So, with the two controllers being the same model etc there is a good chance it will migrate successfully?

The files on the drive are my aunt's digital photos so I would like to know what the chances are before attempting it and possibly wrecking the lot!

Has anyone successfully managed this?
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    I have done this and yes as long as the controllers are the same, it should work flawlessly.

There is only one catch I can think of...

Are the controller firmware revisions the same? That must very close or preferably identical :)
  • edited March 2007
    how do i find out the controller firmware version?

the older board no longer posts but i can assume that it is running the original bios that shipped on the board...
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    With no boot, you can't really check.
    I may have a couple of KT7A-Rs around here if you really want to,
    BUT in my experience you shouldn't worry too much.
    It will work if the files are fine. If anything on the drives got hashed when the mobo died then it is all lost.
    Yes, this is why I quit running R0. I had one KT7A-R die and two IBM Deathstar drives. No speed is worth that trouble.
  • edited March 2007
    ok, i'll give it a go over the weekend... :eek:

i'll post back to let you know how it went... fingers crossed!
  • edited March 2007
    It worked with flawlessly! I managed to get a copy of all the files she needed so lost no data...

Thanks for the prompt help and support!

:bigggrin:
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    Good news! :D