New guy, ACER Aspire laptop, deleted CONFIG+ files, Oh Cr@p, help... help...

IronManIronMan Right now on a dark and foreboding passage,...
edited April 2007 in Hardware

I
am interested in getting some tech help badly, please. :banghead:

I
have an ACER Aspire Series laptop. A couple of days ago I was running some new spy ware app and accidental deleted some important things and now I don't know what to do or where to turn. Pretty bad scene for me as I've just started a small company and now I can't access anything on my PC.
When I turn my PC on I first get the 'ACER' screen then the screen is black with the cursor blinking up in the left-hand corner. Then I get the black screen with the error msg: "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt." \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM.

I never received an 'original set-up CD-ROM' when I was given this PC. AND I have ALL of my company info (6 months of work) on this PC and I'm afraid if I don't do the only 'correct' thing (whatever that is), it could all be lost by reformatting or whatever. (Windows was OEM installed.)
I know I accidental erased a handful of things when I was running that last scan I mentioned so I'm also not sure what that might entail, also.

I do have my sisters capable Compaq to use while I'm sinking in the novice tech-sand here next to my 'who-knows-how-wounded' ACER, though.
Is there some way I can burn a 'repair' disc or whatever off of the Compaq to put into the ACER and fix it?

Remember, technology is like gardening. Everybody knows something but nobody knows everything. I just look and sound smarter than I think.
LOL:aol:
Thanks for any and all help brothers and sisters.
IronMan

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited March 2007
    What Operating System do you (sort of) have now?

What do you know about the history of the machine? The fact that you didn't get any recovery discs leads me to think that you didn't buy it new. Is that correct?

If your OS is WinXP, do you have a copy of the same version of it (Pro or Home) on CD?

Did you get a genuine Windows CD Key with the computer?

What I'd advise as the next step depends a lot on your answer to the preceding questions. Hang in there - we'll help you as much as we can. :)
  • IronManIronMan Right now on a dark and foreboding passage,...
    edited March 2007
    AWESOME Prof! (Apparently) as usual. Yeah!

OK. Here goes.

Its a relatively new ACER Aspire 5600 series. Model #: ZB2 MFG. date (under it on one of the 4 ID/mfr tags) says '0606'. Aspire 5601 AWLMi. It ('sort of'-{good one Prof:)}) has WIN XP Media Ctr Ed. 2005 (It has that product key tag on the bottom, as well.

Prof, I got this as a hand-me-down after my sister bought her & her loser boyfriend laptops so he had it very briefly and I got it virtually untouched & then spent the last 5 months slowly picking & cleaning cleaning out myriad OEM installed garbage. All the ad ware, marketing, game-link, cookie-watching, male ware, tracking, etc., BS (I Hate this [EMAIL="cr@p)that"]cr@p)that[/EMAIL] seems to be packed on any new PC you buy outright without determining first just EXACTLY what you DO want on your hard drive, etc. That's just sad, too.

We never got any disc's with it, recovery, set-up, Windows, etc. I had Googled earlier when this started for me & seemed to find that ACER chose not to provide their particular 'ACER' (whatever) disc, for not really explainable reasons. Didn't seem to have the buyer/owner in mind.

The ACER has its own management, net, recovery, etc. system app installed that seems to have a lot of pull & play. It's been like getting a 'new' old dog, that you love and most of the time is fine but every now & then he tries to jump on the couch or something so I'd just go into it & poke around till I found what needed to be set/reset & how & things would go fine, generally.

I did burn 2 recovery DVDs (thru the ACER 'recovery' ap)(or you could burn about 7 Cd's) but they (the 2 DVDs) haven't done anything after turning the ACER off (the only way is to unplug & pull the battery out for a few seconds, then put everything back & push power. (By the way never any start-up or shut-down issues before.) (I have done well keeping this and other computers (I've used) very clean of 'installed or in-coming' crap by maintaining constant vigilance. I don't & wouldn't even use 'Outlook' on this PC (except for with a 'work', the company's, PC), I only use outside-sourced, network email, etc. Low maintenance. Nice.
    It's funny, I was just learning more about the the guts of this PC (ACER) and had awhile back used one of it's aps to show a complete systems, hardware, everything report but never could hard copy it because I just, finally, a week ago got a sweet new Epson Stylus (reefed by some professional friends) CX5800F. Couldn't have printed it earlier.

What do you gents & ladies know, kind peeps?

(Proper Props to Prof.)

The never effusive, often elusive
    IronMan
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    Hi IronMan,

If you have access to a copy of XP or Media Center...boot with the CD and start the recover console.

This page may help if you have system restore enabled: http://www.help2go.com/Tutorials/Windows/C:%5Cwindows%5Csystem32%5Cconfig%5Csystem_missing_or_corrupt.html

Also:

Will the PC boot into safe mode? (Press F8 as its posting so you get the menu to choose safe mode)
    edited March 2007
    Hey RyderOCZ!

Thanx man. I'll take a peek @ it & let you know.

I'm sufferin' man. Sheesh.

Late

The currently twisting (Ow!)

IronMan

The sanctuary of 'ignorance' is out of my mind.
    edited April 2007
    OK. Here goes.

I have a relatively new (hand-me-down) ACER Aspire 5600 series. Model #: ZB2 MFG. date (under it on one of the 4 ID/mfr tags) says '0606'. Aspire 5601 AWLMi. It has WIN XP Media Ctr Ed. 2005 (It has that product key tag on the bottom, as well.
    I accidentally Spy Ware erased some important files & now when I turn my PC on I first get the 'ACER' screen then the screen is black with the cursor blinking up in the left-hand corner. Then I get the black screen with the error MSG: "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt." \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM.
    I Do Not have any 'original set-up' CD.
    And "YES", (RyderOCZ (thanks for jumping into the fray), if I hit F8 as it's loading nothing occurs, but when I hit 'F2' the screen(it had a small MSG for this @ screen bottom as loading), it asked for a password (I can't believe I remembered it!), now I'm looking at a light-Grey 'PhoenixBIOS Setup Utility' screen. It's got a bunch of system info with some some prompts (top screen), (Information, Main, Security, Boot, Exit) & 'F1+ commands @ screen bot(Help, Exit, Select Item, Select Menu, Change Values, Select > Sub Menu, Setup Defaults, Save & Exit) Whew!
    I'm getting closer to my home. (melody)
    (Also thanks General Keebler(as usual)
    Now, fellow Short(y) Media admirers, what's my next sound move to "Not" lose anything on my HD (formating/reformatting) and get this ACER back up to sneeze?
    Please.
    IronMan
    "In the dark zone that is the blew (it) screen no one can hear you bawl." (& kick-n-scream, for that matter.)
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited April 2007
    How valuable is the data and how time-critical is it for you to get this problem solved?

The quick and easy way would be to buy a version of Windows exactly like the one referenced on your product key. You'll need to be careful and match up whether it is an OEM version (which is likely), or if it's an Upgrade or Full version. If approximately $100 is not too much to spend to fix the problem now, you are only a drive to your local computer store from being able to get cracking.

Another (cheaper) alternative would be to try and get a replacement CD from Microsoft. Given your situation (no defective CD to send back, not the original registered owner of the laptop), that might be a hassle.

If you could borrow a copy of the Windows CD you would be in business. (Again, to be safe, you'll need to match the exact version.)

What type of files are you looking to recover? If they are simple documents it will likely be possible to hook the laptop's hard drive up to a desktop computer (you'll need a $15 adapter to do this), then copy your files safely over to the other machine. If you have a database (such as a mailing list), it may be a little more complicated.

The best advice I can offer is that if this is the type of problem which is going to really screw your business over if it is not solved properly and soon, pay the money and turn the machine over to a local repairman. If you do that, be absolutely sure that you get someone honest and competent. There are too many clowns out there whose idea of a "repair" is a wipe and reload - minus your data. Make it absolutely clear that your data is priceless to you and that they are not authorized to bail out and format the drive.

Your answers to the questions I asked at the beginning of this post will make it easier to give you the best advice on the next step. :)
    edited April 2007
    OK Prof, Short stack, "Pick it up!" */)
    RE: your kind, proactive inquiry,...

IronMan asks(*)The data is priceless & I'm at the mercy, time wise, of the 'solution'. ASAP would be ideal but I definitely want to use my least expensive option(s).

Profdlp, you say,(1)"The quick and easy way would be to buy a version of Windows exactly like the one referenced on your product key. *(Prof, I think so, that's the credit-card-like number on the Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 sticker on the bottom of my laptop?)( I also have an 0606 'mfg date' sticker, Aspire 5601 AWLMi with some happy long numbers.)
    (2)You'll need to be careful and match up whether it is an OEM version (which is likely), or if it's an Upgrade or Full version.*(How would I 'be careful' & how would I 'match up' alla DAT?)?
    You (3)pointed out trying 2 get a 'replacement' CD would probably be a mess. *Cool. I already got that. Next...
    (4)If you could borrow a copy of the Windows CD you would be in business. (Again, to be safe, you'll need to match the exact version.) *(How could or would I borrow that & from where(the library, if they had it?), & how could one 'match' it?)
    (5)What type of files are you looking to recover? *(Various valuable everything, much research data, docs, downloads, a lot of audios, etc.) (5a)If they are simple documents it will likely be possible to hook the laptop's hard drive up to a desktop computer (you'll need a $15 adapter to do this), then copy your files safely over to the other machine.*(What's that adapter called & could I just move it to another laptop with a lot of space.?) *(I'm REALLY just praying to somehow restore the ACER without moving stuff, hopefully.)

Thanks so far & definitely 4 that tip on staying away from 'clown's. (Never saw one good with tech yet.)

(AlsoSideNote HERE, 'anybody'(?). does it help/hurt/matter/whatever if/that I've been able 2 look at this 'PhoenixBIOS Setup Utility' screen (4 daze), & it's got all the 'CPU type' this & the 'UUID' that(?), & I can move around on the screen 'menu'. Anything? Anybody? don't leave me, short, now

Here I thank you (all) in advance for your kind assistance.Your timely reply and help will be highly appreciated. (good one,huh):tongue:

Thanks Prof
    & all great and Short

Sagaciously(whatever that means)
    IronMan

My great-great Grandmother (full-blooded Cherokee) used to hug me and whisper gently,"Crunk the T-Rex".

• ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    Option1:

We have a very helpful guide that will explain the process of restoring the missing files that are causing the error. It is worth noting that the "\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM" message is indication of a corrupt registry. Thankfully Windows makes a copy for you and can be restored to help get the machine going again.

The guide mentioned can be found here:

http://www.short-media.com/articles/repair_windows_xp

If you can hold of any copy of Windows XP, you can convert it to act as an OEM CD. You have a valid LICENSE key on the base of the machine. This is important. You are NOT breaking the law by using any Windows XP CD. It is only media, the important part is the license key :)

http://www.petri.co.il/use_oem_version_to_upgrade_xp.htm will show you how to do that :)

Option 2:

Get the hard drive taken out by a more technically savvy person. They can mount the drive in their PC and retrieve all the data that you need, burning it onto CD/DVD for you. You can then your restore CDs to restore Windows back. Copy your data off the CDs your friend did you for back to the PC :)

Option 3:

Get a full copy of Acronis True Image -> http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/

Boot off the Acronis CD and backup the contents of the hard drive into an image file split across multiple CDs. You can then restore the PC from the factory restore CDs you have created. Once that is done, you can view the image in Windows to extract the data that you need :)

All this is to provide hope that nothing is lost. Keep calm and it can be sorted out. Remember, you own a license for XP, so any suitable OEM media (or converted media) can be used :)